16 people killed in Philippine fire (Lead)November 2nd, 2009 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Nov 2 (DPA) Sixteen people were killed Monday in a fire that gutted 58 houses in a central Philippine city, police and fire officials said.
The fire occurred before dawn in a slum area in Bacolod City, Negros Oriental province, 520 km south of Manila, city fire chief Pamela Rojane Candido said.
Candido said four of the fatalities were children. More than 3,000 people were left homeless by the fire, she added.
Initial investigation indicated that the fire might have been caused by an unattended candle at a wooden two-storey boarding house.
Fourteen of the victims were trapped on the second floor of the boarding house, while two more were found in nearby houses, police Chief Inspector Rico Santotome said.
Santotome said many of the burnt houses were made of light materials.
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo expressed her sympathies to the victims of what is believed to be the worst fire incident in Bacolod City, deputy presidential spokesman Anthony Golez said.
“Right now the city disaster coordinating council is convening to find ways and means to quickly implement relief and assistance to the victims,” he said.
The incident occurred as millions of Filipinos trooped to the cemeteries for All Saints Day, when many honour their dead.
- 14 killed in fire in Philippines fire - Nov 02, 2009
- Benigno Aquino III sworn in as Philippines' president - Jun 30, 2010
- Philippines extends voting period as eight die in violence - May 10, 2010
- Philippine leader vows justice for massacre victims - Dec 03, 2009
- Media groups, activists protest massacre in the Philippines - Nov 30, 2009
- Main suspect in southern Philippine massacre surrenders - Nov 26, 2009
- Eight killed in US house fire - Mar 24, 2012
- Kidnapped principal beheaded in the Philippines - Nov 09, 2009
- Philippine toll in floods, landslides rises to 300 - Oct 11, 2009
- Arroyo lifts martial law in Philippine province - Dec 12, 2009
- Philippines rules out immediate arrests in political massacre - Nov 25, 2009
- Philippine massacre suspect blames Muslim rebels for carnage - Nov 27, 2009
- 11 plead not guilty to Philippines massacre - Apr 21, 2010
- Four earthquakes hit Philippines - Jul 12, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Philippines, killing at least 7 - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,