16 killed in suicide bombings in IraqOctober 2nd, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Oct 2 (Xinhua) Two suicide bomb attacks Thursday killed 16 Shia worshippers and wounded 33 others outside two mosques in the Iraqi capital as the devotees were observing the end of the holy month of Ramadan, an interior ministry source said. The first suicide attack occurred when a suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest blew himself up outside al-Rasoul mosque in Baghdad’s al-Jadida district, also called New Baghdad, killing 12 worshippers, and injuring 25, the source said on condition of anonymity.
In a separate incident, another suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden car into a crowd of worshippers who were leaving a mosque in the al-Zaafaraniyah neighbourhood, leaving two worshippers and two soldiers dead and eight people injured, the source said.
Iraqi security forces immediately cordoned off the two areas, while ambulances rushed to transport the victims to nearby hospitals, he added.
Violence still haunts Iraq though the US military said earlier that the level of violence was at a four-year low.
- 20 killed in twin suicide bombing in Iraq (Lead) - Oct 02, 2008
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- 10 dead, 45 wounded in Iraq suicide bombing - Jun 04, 2012
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq bomb blasts - Aug 12, 2011
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Seven die in Iraq bomb attack - May 22, 2011
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- 13 killed in Iraq car bombing - Nov 28, 2011
- 31 killed in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- 19 killed in Iraq mosque blast (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- Suicide car bomb in Iraq kills three securitymen - Jun 06, 2011
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011
- Eight killed in Iraq suicide attacks - Apr 13, 2010
- 17 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Aug 15, 2010