16 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead)April 16th, 2009 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
Ramadi (Iraq), April 16 (Xinhua) At least 16 people were killed and more than 50 injured Thursday when a suicide bomber blew himself up near a military base in central Iraq, a military source said.
The bomber wearing an explosive belt detonated himself in a restaurant inside the Habaniyah military base near the city of Fallujah, some 50 km west of Baghdad, the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The attacker was disguised in military uniform, the source said, adding that the victims were all Iraqi soldiers.
The latest wave of suicide and car bombings indicates that insurgents could still cause fatal attacks despite recent security gains in the war-torn country.
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Suicide bombing kills 18 in Iraq military base (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- 16 killed in Iraq suicide bombing - Apr 16, 2009
- 10 die in Baghdad blasts - Sep 05, 2010
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- Seven die in Iraq bomb attack - May 22, 2011
- Eight killed in Iraq violence - Aug 16, 2011
- Two soldiers killed in Iraq violence - Aug 13, 2010
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 12 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jul 31, 2012
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: anonymity, attacker, baghdad, car bombings, central iraq, city of fallujah, fatal attacks, insurgents, iraqi soldiers, military base, military source, military uniform, suicide bomber, suicide bombing, xinhua