16 killed as power line falls during Brazil carnivalMarch 1st, 2011 - 6:33 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 1 (IANS/EFE) At least 16 people were killed and around 50 were injured when a power line fell during a pre-carnival celebration in Brazil, police said.The accident occurred Sunday in the main plaza in Bandeira do Sul, a city with 6,000 people in the southeastern state of Minas Gerais.
The power line fell when a truck carrying large speakers hit it, knocking out power to the plaza, witnesses said.
Several people riding in the truck were thrown to the ground and many others - both in the truck and dancing in the street - were electrocuted by the power line.
Some people said fireworks hit the power line, causing a short-circuit.
The city had organised several celebrations during the weekend ahead of the carnival.
- 15 people dead in accident during pre-carnival celebrations in southern Brazil - Mar 01, 2011
- 26 killed in Brazil Carnival road accident - Mar 06, 2011
- Seven survive plane crash in Brazil - Dec 14, 2010
- Beatles music fuels giant street party in Rio - Feb 21, 2012
- 25 die in Brazil accident - Mar 06, 2011
- Brazil busts $625 mn tax-evasion racket - Aug 18, 2011
- Brazil busts human trafficking ring - Nov 19, 2010
- Fun goes on in Brazil after samba parades end - Feb 17, 2010
- Fiat to build $1.7 bn car factory in Brazil - Dec 15, 2010
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- Mexican bottler to build $140 mn plant in Brazil - Dec 07, 2011
- Mexican carnival goers burn clown's effigy over jokes - Feb 20, 2012
- Brazil mudslides toll rises to 85 - Jan 05, 2010
- 95 dead in road accidents during Brazil carnival - Mar 07, 2011
- Six die in shootout at Brazil nightclub - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: brazil carnival, carnival, carnival celebration, carnival rio de janeiro, celebrations, dancing in the street, efe, fireworks, march 1, minas gerais, rio de janeiro, short circuit, southeastern state, speakers