16 foreign troops killed in single day in AfghanistanOctober 29th, 2011 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Oct 29 (IANS) The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) experienced a bloody day in Afghanistan Saturday as the military alliance lost 16 service members.
A suicide bomber detonated his explosives-laden car next to a military convoy in western Kabul at around noon, killing 13 foreign troops and four Afghans, including three civilians and a policeman, according to ISAF and Afghan official statements, reported Xinhua.
An ISAF spokesman did not identify the nationalities of the dead service members, but all the victims were reportedly Americans.
Taliban militants fighting Afghan and NATO-led troops have claimed responsibility for the deadly suicide attack.
Qari Yusuf Ahmadi, a purported spokesman for Taliban, told media from an unknown location that a militant named Abdul Rahman carried out the suicide bombing.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai strongly condemned the attack as a cowardly terrorist attack in a statement released by his office.
In an earlier attack in southern Afghan province of Uruzgan, a man in Afghan military uniform shot dead three Australian soldiers and a local interpreter during morning training of Afghan soldiers, an Afghan army officer in the southern region, General Abdul Hamid Wardak said.
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- NATO helicopter crashes in southern Afghanistan, killing 11 - Aug 17, 2012
- 38 soldiers die in Afghan chopper crash (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Five US, British soldiers killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills NATO soldier - Feb 01, 2012
- Kabul terror attack ends, all Taliban guerrillas killed - Sep 14, 2011
- Four U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash - Apr 21, 2012
- Ten troops killed in bloody day for ISAF in Afghanistan - Jun 08, 2010
- Eight US soldiers among 25 killed in Afghanistan - Jul 14, 2010
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- 20 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 24, 2012
- Four NATO troops killed in Afghan crash - Jun 09, 2010
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills three NATO soldiers - Aug 30, 2012
- Karzai advisor, lawmaker shot dead in Kabul (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- 2 US soldiers killed by militants in Afghanistan - Sep 01, 2012
Tags: abdul hamid, afghan president hamid, afghan president hamid karzai, afghans, army officer, australian soldiers, hamid karzai, international security assistance, kabul, military alliance, military convoy, nationalities, official statements, president hamid karzai, service members, single day, suicide attack, suicide bomber, wardak, xinhua