16 die in Balochistan target killings (Lead)August 14th, 2010 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
By Awais Saleem
Islamabad, Aug 14 (IANS) Sixteen people were killed Saturday in two incidents of target killings in Pakistan’s troubled Balochistan province.
A bus carrying passengers from Punjab’s capital Lahore to Balochistan’s capital Quetta was stopped by gunmen near the town of Sibbi.
The passengers were asked to come down and prove their identities. Ten people, who had their national identity cards carrying addresses of Punjab, were gunned down at the spot.
Six labourers were shot dead in Quetta Saturday evening while coming back from work. Police sources said that they were fired at from point blank range.
No group has claimed responsibility for the killings, although security forces blamed Baloch rebels for these attacks.
Non-Punjabis have been a target of Baloch insurgents engaged in fighting security forces in the province for more than a decade.
The killing of a Baloch leader Habib Jalib last month also aggravated the violence. A package announced by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani last year aimed at providing due rights to Balochistan but was dismissed by the nationalist leaders.
- Senior Balochistan National Party leader killed in Quetta - Jul 14, 2010
- Pakistan to freeze assets of Balochistan militants - Sep 08, 2010
- Balochistan chief minister escapes bid on life (Second Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- 11 die in Pakistan firing - Jul 30, 2011
- BNP accuses Pak govt. of killing Baloch activists - Aug 01, 2010
- Pak police claim senior Balochistan National Party leader's killers' arrest - Aug 14, 2010
- BNP demands UN probe over Habib Baloch's assassination - Jul 20, 2010
- Gilani orders inquiry over Baloch leader's murder amidst massive criticism - Jul 15, 2010
- Balochistan chief minister escapes Quetta suicide blast (Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- 9 killed in wave of sectarian violence in Quetta - Sep 01, 2012
- 'Katil bhi aur investigator ek,' says Akhtar Mengal - Jul 15, 2010
- 12 Shias killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Oct 04, 2011
- 18 Shia pilgrims gunned down in Pakistan - Jul 07, 2012
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Another BNP leader killed in Balochistan - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: decade, gunmen, habib, insurgents, killings, labourers, lahore, national identity cards, nationalist leaders, point blank range, police sources, prime minister, punjabis, quetta, rebels, saleem, saturday evening, security forces, target, violence