15pc of teens with cellphones receive ’sexts’: US studyDecember 16th, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 16 (ANI): A new survey on “sexting” has revealed that nearly one out of seven American teens carrying a cell phone has received nude or almost nude pics.
The Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project, based on a telephone survey of 800 adolescents and 800 parents, also found that 15percent youngsters between 12 to 17 have received sexually suggestive photos or videos on their cellphones.
However, a mere 4 percent accepted to sending a nude photo.
About 4 percent of 12-year-olds received such images, compared to 30percent of 17-year-olds.
It was also found that sexually explicit pictures were sent as part of a romantic relationship or one that is wished-for.
Teens were also asked to write answers to some questions without naming themselves.
“Most people are too shy to have sex….Sexting is not as bad,” the Washington Post quoted a high-school student, as writing.
Another teen revealed how a couple’s breakup ended up in the girl’s naked pic being forwarded to “like everyone at school,” which “ruined high school” for her.
A high school girl said: “If a guy wants to hook up with you, he’ll send you pictures of his private parts or a naked picture. . . . It happens about 10 times a month.”
Taking about their findings, Amanda Lenhart, senior research specialist at Pew, said: “It’s a part of teens’ lives. It’s something they deal with, they grapple with, they talk about…. Even though the numbers are quite low, I think it is an important issue to be talking about.” (ANI)
- 15 percent of US teens engage in 'sexting': study - Dec 17, 2009
- Sexting teenagers more likely to have sex - Jul 04, 2012
- Concerns about teen 'sexting' overblown: Researchers - Dec 05, 2011
- Naked starlets encouraging sexting among Oz teens - Oct 28, 2010
- Sexting on the rise among American teens - Jan 26, 2009
- Children warned over 'sexting' risks - Feb 08, 2011
- 'Sexting' trend becoming increasingly common among teenagers - Mar 31, 2011
- 1 in 4 UK pupils admit swapping porn images of selves by text message - Mar 18, 2011
- The worrying trend of 'sexting' - Mar 27, 2011
- For teenagers, 'sexting' leads to child porn charges - Jun 06, 2010
- Teens' craze for texting may sound death knell for e-mails - Feb 23, 2011
- Now, parents use 'digital' grounding disciplinary tool - Sep 06, 2010
- Sexting poses risk to teens' health, warns expert - May 10, 2009
- One-third of Brit teens text sex snaps of themselves - Dec 01, 2009
- Miley Cyrus in hot water over nude pic scandal - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: 12 year olds, adolescents, american life project, american teens, amp, cell phone, high school girl, Images, naked pic, new survey, parents, pew research center, photo, private parts, research specialist, romantic relationship, suggestive photos, washington post, youngsters