150 Taliban militants, 45 Pak soldiers killed in WaziristanNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:52 am ICT by admin
“Forty-five security personnel have been martyred and 130 militants killed in the two days of fighting in North Waziristan,” Arshad said.
“Ten or 12 soldiers are still missing,” a foreign news agency quoted Arshad, as saying.
The fighting left scores of people dead with the army admitting that it had received the bodies of 30 soldiers and villagers claiming the death of 58 civilians.
The fate of another 50 soldiers is still unclear. Major General Arshad, who is the Director-General of the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), listed them as missing.
Villagers in the Mir Ali area, militants and members of a Jirga of clerics that managed to broker a ceasefire late Monday, said that the missing soldiers had been killed in an ambush.
The fighting saw the use of Pakistan Air Force fighter aircraft for the first time to bomb the militant hideouts.
Soldiers disappeared after the militants attacked security posts and an army patrol outside the town of Mir Ali over the weekend.
Major General Arshad said that the army is trying to establish contact with the missing soldiers.
Major General Arshad said he was not aware of any civilian casualties in the fighting. (ANI)
- Huge Pakistan rally demands halt to US drone strikes - Oct 28, 2011
- Taliban tenacity, ineffective governance negating Pak army gains in S.Waziristan - Nov 20, 2010
- Abducted Swiss couple found in Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- 10 killed in Pakistan drone strike - May 24, 2012
- Citing India, right to appeal sought in Pakistan - Jul 19, 2011
- Pakistani forces hunt for militants after intelligence men killed - Nov 13, 2011
- We have no concrete evidence of Indian hand in Waziristan: Pak - Oct 20, 2009
- WikiLeaks: Kayani wanted more US drone support - May 20, 2011
- Shun violence or quit: Waziristan clerics to foreign terrorists - Jun 21, 2011
- 28 militants, eight soldiers killed in Pakistan clashes (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- 15 militants killed in US drone attack in North Waziristan - Dec 27, 2010
- US drone attack kills three in Pakistan - Oct 06, 2010
- Nine soldiers, 37 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - May 10, 2010
- U.S. drone strikes kill 25 suspected militants in Pakistan - Apr 22, 2011
- Seven soldiers killed in Pakistan - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: air strikes, ali, army patrol, arshad, civilian casualties, contact, fighter aircraft, foreign news, ground operations, inter services, ispr, left scores, militants, military spokesman, north waziristan, operations military, pak soldiers, pakistan air force, security posts, soldiers killed