15 Tamil protesters arrested in TorontoApril 30th, 2009 - 9:57 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, April 30 (IANS) Acting tough for the first time with Tamil protesters here, police arrested 15 of them Wednesday as they tried to push their way towards the American consulate.
Waving Canadian and LTTE flags, thousands of Tamils have been protesting outside the consulate since Sunday seeking US pressure on Sri Lanka to stop its offensive against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
With the beating of drums, they have been chanting ‘President Obama save the Tamils.’
Police swung into action Wednesday evening when the protesters tried to force their way past barricades to reach the consulate.
As cops tried to stop them, a scuffle broke out between them and young protesters. In the ensuing confrontation, police arrested 15 protesters as their leaders shouted for their release.
As the detained protesters were led away, police said they will be charged for scuffling with the cops.
Toronto’s University Avenue is shut down as thousands of Sri Lankan Tamils have been protesting there since Sunday after the LTTE declared a unilateral ceasefire.
The protesters have been trying to march to the US consulate to seek President Obama’s intervention to pressure Sri Lanka to respond to the LTTE’s ceasefire.
Earlier this month, thousands of Tamils demonstrated at the Canadian parliament to urge the government to impose sanctions against Sri Lanka and withdraw its high commissioner from Colombo.
But the Conservative party government, which banned the LTTE immediately after taking office in 2006, has so far refused to meet Canadian Tamil leaders.
More than 300,000 Sri Lankan Tamils have settled in Canada since the ethnic conflict started on the island nation 25 years ago.
- Human rights body protests atrocities on Lankan Tamils - Apr 05, 2012
- Canadians join in as Tamils take to streets again - May 10, 2009
- Tamil activists accuse Lankan Army of purchasing, making landmine parts - Jan 25, 2011
- Canadian Tamils warn of civil war in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Apr 28, 2009
- Tamils write to Canadian PM, warn of civil war in Sri Lanka - Apr 28, 2009
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- Tamils want refugee centre in SE Asia to stop human smuggling - Nov 05, 2010
- Ensure safety of Sri Lankans in India: Amnesty - Sep 06, 2012
- 40,000 Tamils protest at Canadian parliament - Apr 22, 2009
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- Sri Lanka president 'war criminal', try him, demand Tamils - Dec 14, 2009
- International conflict prevention group calls for probe into Sri Lanka's 'war-crimes' - May 18, 2010
- Sri Lankan Tamils protest Sonia Gandhi's London visit - Mar 18, 2011
- Canadian Tamil Congress sues global terror expert - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: barricades, canadian parliament, colombo, confrontation, conservative party, ethnic conflict, high commissioner, island nation, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, party government, protesters, s university, sanctions, sri lankan tamils, tamil leaders, toronto toronto, unilateral ceasefire, university avenue, wednesday evening