15 militants killed in PakistanApril 3rd, 2010 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 3 (DPA) At least 15 Islamic insurgents and one soldier were killed Saturday in clashes in Pakistan’s tribal region near the Afghan border, a security official said.
The fighting took place in the Orakzai district, where government forces launched an offensive last week to rout Taliban and Al Qaeda militants controlling the large territory.
A group of Taliban fighters ambushed a military convoy in the district and killed one soldier while another six were wounded, said a spokesman for the paramilitary Frontier Corps, Major Fazalur Rehman.
Helicopter gunships later pounded militant positions and killed 15 to 20 rebels, Rehman said.
Orakzai is the latest battleground in the tribal region after militants moved there following a military offensive in the neighbouring district of South Waziristan in mid-October.
According to official data, more than 200 militants have died so far in the battles in Orakzai. Many of them are fighters linked with Al Qaeda.
The military operation has also displaced thousands of families who have taken shelter in the Hangu district in North-West Frontier Province.
- 30 militants, six soldiers killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Apr 03, 2010
- 21 Taliban militants killed in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Mar 24, 2010
- Five soldiers, 21 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 26, 2010
- One soldier, 19 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- 22 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 02, 2010
- Troops kill 12 militants in northwest Pakistan - Jun 28, 2010
- Eight Pakistani troops killed in Taliban ambush - Apr 23, 2010
- Pakistani troops kill 38 militants in northwest (Lead) - Apr 04, 2010
- Roadside bombs kill five in Pakistan - Jan 03, 2010
- 10 soldiers killed in Pakistan fighting - Nov 11, 2009
- Suicide bombing kills 10, injures 20 in Pakistan (Lead) - Nov 14, 2009
- Six militants killed in clash with security forces in northwest Pakistan - Mar 15, 2011
- 15 militants killed in Pakistani air strikes - May 20, 2010
- Six soldiers, 25 militants killed in Pakistan clashes (Lead) - Mar 31, 2010
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: afghan border, al qaeda, battleground, clashes, dpa, frontier province, islamic insurgents, militant positions, militants, military convoy, military operation, north west frontier, pakistan islamabad, rebels, rehman, rout, security official, south waziristan, taliban, taliban fighters