15 killed in Pakistan’s Quetta city blastDecember 31st, 2011 - 4:22 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 31 (IANS) At least 15 people were killed and over 20 wounded after a blast hit Pakistan’s Quetta city Friday, said police sources and media reports.
The toll in the blast has risen to 15, Xinhua reported Dawn News citing sources early Saturday.
Earlier, district inspector general Nazir Kurd of Quetta, capital city of Balochistan province, said 10 people were killed and about 30 injured in the blast which, as per initial information, looked as if it was a car bomb blast.
Later, Balochistan Liberation Army, a local separatist group, however, claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was a suicide bomb attack instead of a car bomb attack.
The attack took place at about 7:00 p.m. Friday outside the house of the son of former federal minister Naseer Mengal who had served as oil minister during the tenure of former president Pervez Musharraf.
Mengal has also been Balochistan’s chief minister.
An estimated 40 to 50 kg of explosives were used in the blast, said police, adding that bomb disposal squad also defused another two bombs planted near the house.
Shafiq Mengal, the leader’s son, however, escaped the attack.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik has ordered an inquiry into the attack.
- Six bombs recovered from Pakistan blast site - Dec 31, 2011
- 13 killed, 21 injured in Pakistan car bombing (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Eight killed in Pakistan bombing - Dec 30, 2011
- Blasts rock Pakistan, 11 killed - Sep 18, 2012
- Two dead in Pakistan stadium blast (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Three killed in blast at Pakistan minister' home (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Gilani condemns Quetta blast - Sep 03, 2010
- 25 killed, 55 injured in Pakistan bombings - Sep 07, 2011
- 10 die in Pakistan suicide bombing - Aug 31, 2011
- Four killed, over 50 wounded in Pakistan bombing (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Three dead, 35 wounded in Pakistan bombing - Jun 18, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq car bombings - Jan 16, 2012
- Karachi blast kills one, injures 20 (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: bomb disposal squad, car bomb attack, car bomb blast, chief minister, citing sources, dawn news, federal minister, interior minister, kurd, liberation army, mengal, nazir, oil minister, pervez musharraf, police sources, quetta city, rehman malik, separatist group, shafiq, suicide bomb attack