15 hurt as bomb explodes in Assam marketSeptember 18th, 2008 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Sep 18 (IANS) At least 15 people were injured, two of them critically, in a powerful explosion Thursday in Assam’s Chirang district. A police spokesperson said the blast took place at Bijni in Chirang district, about 230 km west of Assam’s main city Guwahati.
“The explosion took place in a crowded place close to a government office. Most victims were shoppers or office goers,” Inspector General of Police Bhaskar Jyoti Mahanta told IANS.
Of the 15 injured, two of them were stated to be critical.
“All the injured were shifted to hospitals with multiple wounds,” the official said.
Police blamed the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) for the attack.
“We suspect it was the handiwork of the ULFA as they have suffered reverses and a few of them have surrendered in the last few days,” Mahanta said.
The ULFA, fighting for an independent homeland since 1979, is split, with a potent striking unit of the outfit declaring a ceasefire in June.
“Investigations are on to ascertain the nature of explosives used in the blast,” the official said.
- Bodo separatists planning terror strikes in Assam: police - Sep 20, 2010
- High security in Assam for PM's visit, IED recovered - Apr 19, 2012
- 50 injured as passenger train bombed in Assam (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Five CRPF troopers killed in Assam landmine blast (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Four injured in blast at Congress office; four BSF men killed (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Three injured in Assam blast - Jan 02, 2012
- Two ULFA militants arrested in Guwahati - Mar 23, 2011
- Three ULFA cadres nabbed in Assam - Jun 30, 2012
- Twin blasts rocks Assam, five killed, 50 injured (Second Lead) - Nov 22, 2009
- Landmine blast kills four CRPF men in Assam (Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Blasts on railway track in Asam, no casualties - Apr 20, 2012
- Blast in Assam refinery, ULFA claims responsibility - Apr 07, 2012
- Five anti-talk ULFA cadres nabbed - Apr 21, 2012
- Five injured in blast at Congress office; 8 BSF men killed (Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Militants kill four troopers in Assam - Jul 26, 2010