15 Al-Qaeda prisoners escape from Yemeni jailDecember 12th, 2011 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Aden (Yemen), Dec 12 (IANS) As many as 15 Al-Qaeda prisoners escaped through a tunnel from a Yemeni jail in the port city of Aden Monday, said an official.
About 15 Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) prisoners, including five prisoners who had been sentenced to death, fled the central jail in Aden’s Al-Mansoura district after digging a small underground tunnel, Xinhua reported citing a security official who requested anonymity.
Some other inmates also fought their way out of the jail along with the AQIM prisoners, he said.
The escaping Al-Qaeda prisoners were convicted on terrorism charges, said the official adding that the police have launched investigations.
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- Eight soldiers die in Yemen car bombing - Jul 24, 2011
- 68 Al Qaeda men tunnel their way out of Yemen jail - Jun 22, 2011
- Yemeni warplanes bomb Al-Qaeda bases, 18 killed - Mar 19, 2012
- Al Qaeda leaders killed in Yemen air strike - May 07, 2012
- Yemen detains prison director over Al Qaeda escape - Jun 26, 2011
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Six killed in Yemen - Jun 24, 2011
- Abducted Saudi diplomat in Yemen makes fresh appeal - Jul 02, 2012
- 11 die in Yemeni army, Al Qaeda clashes - Jun 27, 2011
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- Nine militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2012
- 23 killed in Yemen attack - Apr 09, 2012
- Al Qaeda guns down American in Yemen (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Yemen arrests suspected mastermind behind San'a jailbreak - Jun 21, 2010
Tags: aden yemen, al qaeda, anonymity, aqim, central jail, city of aden, inmates, investigations, islamic maghreb, mansoura, prisoners, security official, terrorism charges, underground tunnel, xinhua