Shilpa Shetty and Jayaprada took lessons in the classical Indian danceJanuary 27th, 2009 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 27 (IANS) Bollywood actresses Shilpa Shetty and Jayaprada took lessons in the classical Indian dance form of Odissi for an India-China joint film venture. And the Orissa-based dance guru is all praise for Shilpa’s grace and commitment.”Shilpa Shetty went through a week-long Odissi dance workshop under my supervision at Kollam (in Kerala), where the film is being shot,” Odissi dance Guru Ratikant Mohapatra told IANS here.
Tentatively titled “The Desire”, the film will see Shilpa sharing screen space with Chinese superstar Xia Yu, who is considered the Shah Rukh Khan of China. Produced jointly by Sharad Hegde from Mumbai and Tracy Shiyun from China, it is being directed by R. Sarath.
“I was specially invited by director R. Sarath to teach Odissi to Shilpa and choreograph the song for her in the film,” said Mohapatra, son of legendary Odissi exponent late Kelucharan Mohapatra.
“My working experience with Shilpa Shetty was very good. As an actress and Bharatnatyam dancer she was able to understand the style and form of Odissi and its execution,” he said.
“Practising in the morning and evening, Shilpa had no star tantrums and she proved herself to be a committed artiste. Her performance in the shooting was also satisfying,” Mohapatra said.
The dance guru said the training session took place Jan 14-19, while Jayaprada also took lessons for a brief period.
The Indo-Chinese project, under the banner of C-9 Motion Pictures in association with Indish Creations, also features Anupam Kher, Sachin Khedekar, Sheetal Menon and Nakul Vaid.
“The Desire” revolves around Goutami (Shilpa), an accomplished Odissi dancer, and a talented artist Jai Leang (Yu) and follows the journey of their respective lives until they are separated and brought together again by destiny.
Yu is not the first Chinese actor to star alongside Bollywood stars. Veteran Chinese martial arts actor Gordon Liu was seen in Nikhil Advani’s “Chandni Chowk To China” that released Jan 16.
Mohapatra, who is director of Srujan, the dance school started by his father Kelucharan Mohapatra in Bhubaneswar, was involved in composing the music for the dance sequences as well.
“Sarath told me to compose the music for the Odissi (dance sequences) and choose an Oriya song. Then Shri Lakshmikant Palit was invited to compose the music and I composed the rhythm of Odissi Mardala,” Mohapatra added.
“Presenting Odissi dance in a Bollywood film with its purity and form intact, along with Odissi music and Oriya literature is certainly an achievement for me personally, for our state and for the Oriya people,” the dancer said.
- Learning Odissi was tough, Shilpa writes on blog - Jan 31, 2009
- Shilpa Shetty to star in India-China film - Jan 10, 2009
- Shilpa learnt Chinese from her Chinese co-star Xia Yu - Mar 14, 2009
- A classical dance fest, just for men - Jan 22, 2010
- 'The Desire' my last for now: Shilpa Shetty (Interview) - Sep 14, 2011
- I was moved by 'The Desire' script: Shilpa Shetty's mom - Sep 21, 2011
- Foreign feet on India's traditional dance floor - May 01, 2011
- Mom bails out Shilpa's Indo-Chinese film - Aug 12, 2011
- My Chinese co-star is sweet, cooperative, says Shilpa - Feb 01, 2009
- Dancer Mansingh celebrates the Golden Jubilee of her career in Delhi - Feb 23, 2011
- Bhubaneswar hosts all male Indian classical dance festival - Jan 28, 2010
- Ileana Citaristi's Italian odyssey into Odissi (With Images) - Jun 22, 2009
- Indian classical dance now a global heritage (Feature with images) - Aug 08, 2010
- Japanese dancer takes Indian dances to the world (Feature) - Mar 05, 2010
- An Argentine who dedicated five decades to Indian dance (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: anupam kher, bollywood actresses, bollywood stars, chinese martial arts, chinese project, classical indian dance, gordon liu, india china, jayaprada, martial arts actor, nakul, nikhil advani, odissi dance, odissi dancer, sachin khedekar, sarath, shah rukh khan, shilpa shetty, shiyun, xia yu