14 teams to play in shorter 2011 cricket World CupMarch 18th, 2008 - 11:39 pm ICT by admin
Dubai, March 18 (IANS) Fourteen teams will participate in the 2011 cricket World Cup to be co-hosted by India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. “The ICC (International Cricket Council) has decided to significantly shorten the 2011 World Cup to be held in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka,” ICC president-elect David Morgan said at a press conference here Tuesday after the conclusion of the body’s executive board meeting.
The ICC decision comes in the wake of wide criticism of the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies for its inordinately long schedule.
As many as 16 teams played in the tournament in 51 matches from March 13 to April 28 last year with Australia retaining the title for the third consecutive time.
Morgan said the 2011 tournament would have the 10 full members of the ICC and four teams from the qualifiers.
“The 10 full members will automatically qualify for the tournament. The semi-finalists of the ICC World Cup qualifiers to be held in Dubai in 2009 will be the other four qualifiers,” he said.
Asked what would be the length of the tournament, he said that would be decided later by the ICC.
This was among the various decisions taken by the ICC executive board in its two-day meeting here.
- ICC increases participating teams for World Twenty20 - Apr 16, 2012
- ICC reinstates minnows in Cricket World Cup (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Minnows back only in 2015 World Cup, 2019 will have 10 teams (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2011
- ICC drops associate countries from 2015 World Cup - Apr 05, 2011
- ICC launches spot-fixing probe against Kenyan player - May 24, 2012
- Pakistan mooting China as neutral venue for cricket - Dec 03, 2010
- Pakistan to send video clip to convince ICC about security - Oct 18, 2010
- ICC annual meet may be stormy over UDRS, World Cup format - Jun 24, 2011
- Cricket World Cup tickets will be affordable - Dec 31, 2010
- ICC increases 2011 World Cup prize money to 4 mln dollars - Apr 21, 2010
- Spotlight on PCB boss Butt at ICC meeting focusing on 'spot-fixing' - Oct 12, 2010
- Sri Lanka interim cricket board dissolved - Jul 01, 2011
- ICC restores 14-team format for 2015 World Cup - Jun 28, 2011
- Pakistan unhappy with cricket's FTP - Dec 01, 2010
- Ireland may play 15 ODIs against full-members over five years - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: australia, board meeting, conclusion, consecutive time, cricket world cup, david morgan, decisions, icc world cup, india pakistan bangladesh, international cricket council, president elect, semi finalists, sri lanka, west indies