14 soldiers killed in Yemen car bombingAugust 18th, 2012 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Sana’a, Aug 18 (IANS) At least 14 soldiers were killed Saturday in car bombing attack on a military intelligence compound in Yemen’s southern port city of Aden, Xinhua reported.
More than 10 soldiers were wounded when a booby-trapped car blew up in a street in Tawahi district of Aden where a military intelligence headquarters and a local state TV building are located, police said.
The powerful blast was followed by heavy gunfire from unidentified attackers suspected to be Al Qaeda militants.
An official termed it a “well-planned attack”.
The explosion hit the “least-guarded rear gate” of the military complex, he said.
Witnesses said the attackers targeted the military base with three rocket-propelled grenades and later fled in pick-up trucks.
No one claimed responsibility for the attack.
- Seven killed in attack on Yemen's spy agency - Jun 19, 2010
- Eight soldiers die in Yemen car bombing - Jul 24, 2011
- Briton killed in Yemen bomb blast - Jul 21, 2011
- Eleven killed in attack on Yemen's spy agency (Lead) - Jun 20, 2010
- 11 policemen, three Al Qaeda militants killed in Yemen - Aug 21, 2010
- 50 killed at Yemen military parade - May 21, 2012
- Six killed in Yemen - Jun 24, 2011
- 28 die in Yemen weapons depot blast - May 26, 2011
- Six more dead in Yemen clashes - Apr 14, 2011
- Yemeni president sacks intelligence chiefs - Sep 12, 2012
- Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Yemen attack - Jul 11, 2010
- 96 dead in Yemen military parade bombing (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Five soldiers killed in al-Qaeda ambush in western Yemen - May 13, 2011
- 15 troops, three Al Qaeda militants die in Yemen - Aug 21, 2010
- 29 die in Damascus blasts - May 10, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, car bombing, city of aden, explosion, heavy gunfire, military base, military intelligence, rocket propelled grenades, southern port city, state tv, trucks, unidentified attackers, xinhua