$14 mn temple to be built in Trinidad and Tobago (With image)July 9th, 2010 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
By Paras Ramoutar
Port-of-Spain, July 9 (IANS) An Indian born seer has announced the construction of a $14 million temple at Trinidad and Tobago’s Freeport city.
The construction work will commence on Divali, which will be celebrated Nov 5.
“The Laksmi Narayan Mandir will reflect the ancient Vedic tradition dating back to between 5,000 and 10,000 years. It will be patterned along the Vashti Shastri tradition reminiscient of the spirituality, moral and ethical values of that period,” said Jyoti Shacharya Sri Sri Gajendra Kumar.
Kumar said that the temple will serve as a link between India and Trinidad and Tobago as “India is in all of us regardless of time and space”.
“And to represent this force, there will be two specially-carved domes, testimonials of the rich and cultural and religious partnerhips and linkages between our two countries.
“While the temple will be named the Lakshmi Narayan…, there will be murtis (idols) or images of Lord Hanuman, Lord Rama, Lord Krishna, Lord Ganesh, and goddesses Saraswati, Parvati, Radha, Durga, among several others.”
The seer has come from a lineage of Hindu religious leaders spanning over 200 years in India. His father, Jyoti Shacharya Sri Sri Chandrashekar Harayan Kumar, was a noted Hindu thinker in India’s Madhya Pradesh state.
He was born in Uttar Pradesh state. Some 145,000 Indians came from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar between 1845 and 1917 to work on the sugar and cocoa plantations in the country.
(Paras Ramoutar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Trinidad-Tobago to build one-of-a-kind Lakshmi-Narayan Hindu Temple - Dec 09, 2010
- Hanuman idol perched atop pole in Trinidad and Tobago - Feb 08, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago observes Mahashivaratri - Feb 21, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago, India to celebrate I-Day jointly - Aug 10, 2012
- Kamla Persad-Bissessar, a 'Pravasi Bharatiya' on her way to India - Jan 01, 2012
- Trinidad Hindus celebrate Lord Krishna's birthday - Aug 11, 2012
- 100,000 visit T&T; Diwali exposition - Oct 25, 2011
- India looks at Trinidad and Tobago for oil - Nov 15, 2010
- Trinidad and Tobago PM chief guest at Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - Oct 27, 2011
- Ayurveda centre opens at Indian mission in Trinidad - Jul 30, 2012
- Bangalore Little Theatre relives India's political past on stage in Caribbean - Oct 03, 2011
- Video on Facebook page threatens Trinidad and Tobago PM - Aug 29, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh dance troupe thrills Trinidad audience - Mar 04, 2010
- Goan dances enthrall Trinidad and Tobago audience - Aug 13, 2011
- Tagore's 'Chitra' holds audiences spellbound in Trinidad and Tobago - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: chandrashekar, cocoa plantations, divali, domes, durga, freeport city, gajendra, jyoti, laksmi, lord ganesh, lord hanuman, lord krishna, lord rama, port of spain, saraswati, seer, sri sri, trinidad and tobago, vashti, vedic tradition