14 civilians, six security guards killed in Afghanistan

May 4th, 2009 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS  

Taliban Kabul, May 4 (DPA) A roadside bomb blast in southern Afghanistan killed 12 civilians Monday, while Taliban militants attacked a supply convoy in the same region, killing six private security guards and two civilians, officials said.
The roadside bomb blew up a tractor-trolley carrying civilians in Shamalzai district of southern Zabul province Monday morning, killing 12 civilians, Wazir Jawadi, the district’s administrative chief said.

Four women and two children were among those killed, Jawadi added.

He held Taliban militants responsible for the attack.

Meanwhile, Taliban militants attacked a convoy carrying supplies for NATO forces in the Qalat district of Zabul province Monday, killing six private security guards, who were escorting the convoy, Abdul Rahman Sarjang, provincial police chief said.

Sarjang said that two civilian passers-by were also killed in the firefight that happened on the Kabul-Kandahar highway.

The region is the main hub for Taliban-led insurgents. Militants launched a new countrywide operation last week and vowed to increase their attacks on Afghan government and NATO forces in the country this year.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe