14 civilians, six security guards killed in AfghanistanMay 4th, 2009 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 4 (DPA) A roadside bomb blast in southern Afghanistan killed 12 civilians Monday, while Taliban militants attacked a supply convoy in the same region, killing six private security guards and two civilians, officials said.
The roadside bomb blew up a tractor-trolley carrying civilians in Shamalzai district of southern Zabul province Monday morning, killing 12 civilians, Wazir Jawadi, the district’s administrative chief said.
Four women and two children were among those killed, Jawadi added.
He held Taliban militants responsible for the attack.
Meanwhile, Taliban militants attacked a convoy carrying supplies for NATO forces in the Qalat district of Zabul province Monday, killing six private security guards, who were escorting the convoy, Abdul Rahman Sarjang, provincial police chief said.
Sarjang said that two civilian passers-by were also killed in the firefight that happened on the Kabul-Kandahar highway.
The region is the main hub for Taliban-led insurgents. Militants launched a new countrywide operation last week and vowed to increase their attacks on Afghan government and NATO forces in the country this year.
- Blasts, ambush kill 30 people in Afghanistan (Lead) - May 05, 2009
- 16 killed in Afghan blast, air attack - Sep 13, 2010
- 13 killed in Afghanistan - Jun 30, 2010
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- Taliban bomb expert captured by NATO - Jan 07, 2011
- Eight civilians killed in Afghanistan - May 08, 2010
- Afghan president's advisor survives attack - Aug 04, 2010
- Two kids killed in Afghan bombing - Apr 12, 2012
- Four children killed in Afghanistan blast - Nov 01, 2011
- Seven die in Afghanistan blast - Feb 28, 2012
- 14 killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 22, 2010
- Taliban leader held in Afghanistan: ISAF - Aug 01, 2012
- NATO soldier, six workers killed in Afghanistan - Jul 06, 2010
- Suicide bombing kills four in Afghanistan - Apr 25, 2010
- Three civilians among 17 killed in Afghan violence - Jun 19, 2010
Tags: afghan government, afghanistan kabul, bomb blast, civilians, convoy, firefight, four women, insurgents, kandahar, militants, monday morning, nato forces, police chief, private security guards, provincial police, roadside bomb, southern afghanistan, taliban, trolley, zabul province