131-year-old New Zealand church to be demolishedMarch 3rd, 2012 - 1:03 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, March 3 (IANS) A 131-year-old cathedral, devastated in the earthquake last year in Christchurch, New Zealand, will be demolished because it is too dangerous and expensive to rebuild, a bishop has said.
The Victorian-era, Gothic-style cathedral, which dominated the city’s central square, was badly damaged in the February 2011 quake. The 6.3 magnitude quake killed 185 people and destroyed large areas of the business centre and more than 6,000 homes.
The landmark cathedral was a favourite meeting place and tourist attraction, but any chance of saving it was ended by several strong aftershocks that caused more damage, the Christian Science Monitor reported Friday.
“The decision we have made has been made with prayer, with great deliberation, and an utmost concern for safety,” Bishop Victoria Matthews told reporters.
She said the cathedral would be demolished gradually and carefully to a height of two or three metres to salvage historic features.
“There will be no bulldozers, there will be no wrecking balls, this will be done with deep love and respect for a building that has served us so well,” Matthews said.
New Zealand faces a NZ$20 billion ($16.5 billion) bill to rebuild its second largest city, the centre of which remains off limits a year after the quake. Whole blocks have been reduced to bare land.
- 150-year-old cathedral damaged in New Zealand quake (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- 150-year-old cathedral damaged in New Zealand quake - Feb 22, 2011
- New Zealand quake: Christchurch faces year to recover - Sep 05, 2010
- At least 98 now dead in New Zealand quake - Feb 24, 2011
- 5.3-magnitude aftershock shakes Christchurch - Apr 16, 2011
- Quake rocks New Zealand - Dec 23, 2011
- New Zealand extends National State of Emergency over Christchurch quake - Mar 01, 2011
- New Zealand to spend 8.5 billion dollars on Christchurch rebuild - Apr 12, 2011
- New Zealand may face further quake aftershocks; Oz seismologist - Feb 26, 2011
- New Zealand PM's science adviser slams Christchurch quake prediction - Mar 16, 2011
- 123 dead, 200 missing in New Zealand quake (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- Aftershocks jolt Christchurch - Mar 05, 2011
- 4.8 magnitude aftershock jolts Christchurch - Mar 05, 2011
- 5.1 earthquake near New Zealand's Christchurch city - Jul 22, 2011
- Emergency declared after massive 7.1-magnitude earthquake hits Christchurch - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: aftershocks, bulldozers, business centre, central square, christchurch new zealand, christian science monitor, deliberation, earthquake, gothic style, love and respect, magnitude quake, meeting place, old cathedral, s central, salvage, tourist attraction, utmost concern, victoria matthews, wellington, wrecking balls