130 injured in Netherlands train collision (Lead)April 22nd, 2012 - 6:04 am ICT by IANS
The Hague, April 22 (IANS) Around 130 people were injured when two passenger trains collided Saturday near the Netherlands’ capital city Amsterdam, Xinhua reported.
The accident took place around 6.30 p.m. when a train from Den Helder to Nijmegen rammed into another passenger train from Amsterdam to Uitgeest.
According to BBC, the accident happened near Sloterdijk, to the west of the capital. Neither train was derailed, and video footage from the scene appeared to show minor damage.
Dutch railways company NS said all the injured were pulled out of the trains.
Police said at least 125 people were injured. Most victims suffered broken bones and severe bruises.
Police barricaded the area around the accident. Ambulances and helicopters reached the scene to evacuate the injured. Temporary medical centres have been built to treat people with minor injuries.
The cause of the disaster was unknown, and an investigation will be conducted.
The accident happened at a busy part of the Dutch rail network, disrupting services between Amsterdam and The Hague and also to Schiphol airport.
- Amsterdam airport evacuated after bomb threat - Feb 13, 2012
- Passenger trains collide in city near The Hague - Nov 05, 2010
- Spanish plane hijacking report denied - Aug 30, 2012
- Train derailment in central Poland kills 1, injures dozens - Aug 13, 2011
- Scores injured after trains collide head-on near Johannesburg - Sep 10, 2010
- Man held over bomb threat to Amsterdam airport (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- 24 injured in China train accident - Aug 24, 2012
- 3 killed, 50 injured when trains collide near Karachi - Sep 17, 2012
- Train crash in South Africa injures more than 850 - May 20, 2011
- Nearly 100 injured in South Africa train crash - Jan 15, 2011
- Train crash in South Africa kills 1, injures more than 80 - Apr 08, 2011
- One dead after train collision near Rotterdam (Lead) - Sep 25, 2009
- Train engine derailed at Kanpur, none hurt - Aug 18, 2012
- Indonesia: 14 dead, 40 injured in West Java bus accident - Feb 11, 2012
- Truck-train collision injures 15 in US - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: ambulances, bbc, bones, bruises, capital city amsterdam, den helder, disaster, dutch rail, dutch railways, hague, helicopters, medical centres, minor injuries, netherlands capital, passenger train, passenger trains, sloterdijk, train collision, video footage, xinhua