1.3 tonnes hashish seized in TurkeyJanuary 6th, 2012 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Ankara, Jan 6 (IANS) Turkish security forces have seized 1.3 tonnes of hashish, worth over $1.5 million, during an operation in the southeastern province of Diyarbakir, said an official Friday.
The Turkish security forces staged an operation near Ortac village in the province’s Lice town to block illicit drug-trafficking by an outlawed Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) in the region, Xinhua quoted Diyarbakir Governor Mustafa Toprak saying in a statement.
A total of 1.3 tonnes of hashish were confiscated during the operation, said Toprak, adding at least one suspect was detained in the operation.
Turkey is a key transit route for drug smuggling from Asia and the Middle East to Europe.
- Turkey seized 11 tonnes of hashish in 2011 - Dec 17, 2011
- Terror attack foiled in Turkey - Jul 08, 2012
- Abducted British tourist released in Turkey - Jun 04, 2012
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Inmates set prison on fire in Turkey - Jul 15, 2012
- 47 tonnes of hashish seized in Turkey in 2011 - Mar 15, 2012
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- 77 kg heroin seized in Turkey - Aug 28, 2010
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- 165 kg heroin seized in Turkey - Jun 11, 2010
- 17 dead in Turkey clash - Jul 01, 2010
- Turkish air raid kills over 20 at Iraq border - Dec 29, 2011
- 10 held, 400 kg drugs seized in Turkey - Jun 09, 2010
Tags: 5 million, ankara, asia, drug smuggling, drug trafficking, europe, hashish, illicit drug, kurdish workers party, lice, middle east, pkk, tonnes, toprak, transit route, turkey, turkish security forces, xinhua