13 shot dead inside bar in MexicoApril 22nd, 2012 - 11:43 am ICT by IANS
Ciudad Juarez (Mexico), April 22 (IANS/EFE) At least 13 people were gunned down and four wounded in an attack by suspected cartel gunmen at a bar in the northern Mexican city of Chihuahua, authorities said.
“Thus far the preliminary report is 13 dead and four wounded,” Carlos Gonzalez, spokesman for the Chihuahua state Attorney General’s Office, told EFE.
The attack occurred Friday night when several armed assailants entered the El Colorado bar on the city’s north side and opened fire with automatic rifles, Gonzalez said.
Chihuahua has been among the states hardest hit by violence pitting drug cartels fighting over smuggling routes to the United States.
On Feb 4, a shootout at a bar in that same city left nine people dead, including a police officer and five musicians, and 11 wounded.
Over the past four years, the border state has accounted for nearly 30 percent of the more than 50,000 drug-related homicides nationwide.
Many of the killings there have occurred in Ciudad Juarez, a sprawling metropolis across from El Paso, Texas, that is considered among the world’s deadliest cities.
- 5 killed in attack on Mexican bar - Apr 03, 2011
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Funeral home attacked with fire bombs in Mexico - Mar 02, 2011
- Singer shot at during robbery in Mexican city - Feb 23, 2011
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- 300 women killed in 2010 in Mexican border city - Dec 26, 2010
- Doctor shot dead in Mexican city - Dec 24, 2010
- Violence leaves 8,500 orphans in Mexican border city - Feb 25, 2011
- Six mutilated bodies found in Mexico - Sep 12, 2011
- Nine gunned down at Mexican nightclub - Feb 05, 2012
- Mexican border city officials seek ban on video game - Feb 24, 2011
- Mexican judge hands down country's first life sentence - Dec 23, 2010
- 10 killed in bar shooting in Mexico - Apr 02, 2011
- 1,000 Mexicans held for involvement in sex trade - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: assailants, automatic rifles, border state, carlos gonzalez, cartel, chihuahua state, ciudad juarez mexico, colorado bar, drug cartels, el paso, friday night, gunmen, homicides, killings, metropolis, mexico ciudad, police officer, preliminary report, spokesman, state attorney general