13 killed in Guatemala violenceMarch 8th, 2009 - 6:40 am ICT by IANS
Guatemala City, Mar 8 (IANS) At least 13 people, including two police officials, have been killed in a wave of violence in Guatemala, EFE reported Sunday.
According to the National Police (PNC), three suspected members of a youth gang, were shot death by unknown gunmen early Saturday in the northeastern suburbs of the capital.
Two PNC officials and a criminal were also killed in a shootout in a residential district in the southern part of the capital city, the PNC said, adding that at least 13 people were killed in the past 24 hours.
The efforts by security forces to stop the wave of violence lashing the country have not been successful as the crime gangs are better armed and better organised, the PNC said.
On an average 17 murders occur every day in Guatemala, which has emerged as one of the most violent countries in Latin America.
- Gunmen kill eight at Guatemala disco - Jan 23, 2012
- Prison warden slain in Guatemala - Jul 20, 2012
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 23 die in Guatemala violence - Jul 12, 2010
- Four killed in Guatemala violence - Jul 28, 2010
- 13 die in Mexico shootout - May 16, 2011
- Four shot dead in Mexican bar's parking lot - Mar 09, 2011
- Police officer, 3 relatives murdered in El Salvador - Jun 28, 2010
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- Guatemalan judge escapes assassination attempt - Dec 31, 2011
- Mexican army kills eight in shootout - Feb 19, 2011
- Three women tortured, killed in El Salvador - Jan 16, 2012
- Attack during football match kills six in Guatemala - Feb 20, 2009
- Two shot dead in beauty parlour - Sep 28, 2011
- Guatemala busts gang blamed for 18 rapes - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: countries in latin america, crime gangs, efe, guatemala city, gunmen, murders, national police, northeastern suburbs, pnc officials, police officials, residential district, security forces, violence, violent countries, youth gang