13 dogs poisoned to death in BritainMay 30th, 2011 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 30 (IANS) At least 13 dogs have died mysterious deaths after they were reportedly poisoned during a walk on a country road in Britain, police said.
All the deaths took place in Cross Hills in North Yorkshire within an hour of the pet owners taking their dogs for a walk along the rural road, the Daily Mail reported.
Police have launched a probe, while the path has now been cordoned off.
The Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) said it was unsure whether the death were caused deliberately. It has appealed to dog owners to stay away from the path.
RSPCA animal welfare officer Sally Ramsden said: “We strongly suspect that the dogs may have been poisoned. We also cannot rule out the possibility that this has been done deliberately.”
Eileen Johnson’s dog was one of the first to mysteriously die when it collapsed just 10 minutes after returning home from a walk.
Johnson, 71, heard a thump and when she turned round she saw her six-year-old pet having a fit.
“We took him to the vets but by the time we got there he was already dead. The vet initially thought it was a heart attack, because he was one of the first dogs to die, but now we’re waiting for post-mortem results,” she said.
- British mother, son jailed over dogs' deaths - Feb 24, 2012
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- Cat found sliced in two - Jan 13, 2011
- Meet 22-year-old Billy, the world's oldest dog! - Sep 23, 2010
- Britons held for cramming 69 animals in one house - Mar 31, 2012
- Safety Tips For Pets On Halloween - Oct 29, 2010
- Cat survives 190-km ride on train's underside - Jun 14, 2012
- Pet dogs in Britain to be microchipped - Apr 24, 2011
- Dog, trapped for five days in tunnel, saved - Oct 20, 2011
- Paris Hilton Refuses To Give Permission To Kill Her Rabies Infected Pet! - Nov 26, 2010
- Rooting for the underdog! (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Pammie spreads Christmas cheer by visiting UK charities - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexico dog owners urged to dispose pets' excreta - Aug 16, 2010
- Middle-aged UK woman caught on CCTV dumping cat in wheelie bin - Aug 24, 2010
- Jobless Briton stabs dog to death, faces jail - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: animal welfare, britain london, cordoned, cross hills, cruelty to animals, daily mail, dog owners, eileen johnson, heart attack, mysterious deaths, north yorkshire, pet owners, post mortem, prevention of cruelty to animals, ramsden, returning home, rural road, thump, vets, welfare officer