13 dead, 26 wounded in New York shooting rampage (Third Lead)April 4th, 2009 - 1:18 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 3 (IANS) At least 13 people were killed and 26 wounded in a shooting rampage by a lone gunman inside an upstate New York civic association building that caters to immigrants, news reports said. The suspect was described as an Asian male in his 20s.
ABC News citing multiple state law enforcement officials said the gunman entered the single-storey American Civic Association building in downtown Binghamton about 10 a.m. Friday and began a shooting spree.
A senior law enforcement official told ABC News that 13 people were killed and 26 wounded. Many others were believed to be held inside the building as hostages.
The suspect was described as an Asian male in his 20s, between 5-foot-8 and 6 feet tall, wearing a bright green nylon jacket and dark-rimmed glasses.
Officials said the gunman backed his car up to the rear door of the building to block any escape before he opened fire.
One of the first sights that greeted police officers when they entered the American Civic Association, an organization that helps immigrants, was a receptionist who had been shot in the head, police said.
Five patients were brought to one local trauma centre about 5 to 7 miles from the shooting location.
According to authorities, the gunman was armed with a high powered rifle.
According to one police report, a 9 mm pistol was recovered as SWAT team officers entered the building. It was unclear whether it was an additional weapon used by the gunman.
By early afternoon a number of people were seen being escorted out of the building by police.
- Gunman shoots himself after killing 13 in New York shooting rampage (Fourth Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- New York shooter identified - Apr 04, 2009
- Chinese American gunman kills 13, self in New York immigration center - Apr 04, 2009
- Three killed in shooting near US varsity (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Three die in US shopping plaza shootout (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Gunman on rampage in New York kills 13, shoots himself (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- Mass shootings have claimed hundreds of lives in US - Aug 14, 2012
- Gunman kills five in New York, shot dead (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- New York gunman kills one; shot dead (Third Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Hostage situation at Discovery Channel headquarters - Sep 02, 2010
- 7 killed in shooting at US gurudwara (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- 'New York killer was depressed and angry over losing job' (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- Gunman kills four in US - Aug 30, 2010
- Gunman kills seven at California religious college - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: abc news, american civic association, asian male, binghamton, early afternoon, fire one, five patients, hostages, immigrants, law enforcement officials, lone gunman, nylon jacket, police report, rampage, receptionist, rimmed glasses, shooting spree, swat team, trauma centre, upstate new york