12.(For Sunday)New York’s pizza company to enter IndiaNovember 30th, 2008 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS) New York-based pizza chain Famous Famiglia is all set to enter India through the franchise route and is scouting for partners.”We will open our first outlet in about a year and will rely exclusively on our channel partners to expand in the country,” Giorgio Kolaj, company co-founder and executive vice president, told IANS in an interview here.
“The chain will be opening its first outlet at the Bangalore airport, and will be targeting locations like airports and major metros in the first phase of the entry,” he said.
Kolaj identified Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad and Chennai as the metros that his company was targeting in the initial phase.
However, Famous Famiglia doesn’t plan to open company-owned outlets and will appoint a master franchisee for its Indian operations very soon, he said.
The prices of its offerings will be comparable to that charged by other western quick service restaurants and fast pizzeria chains, Kolaj said, but played down competition Famous Famiglia faced from established pizza chains like Pizza Hut and Dominos.
“The key for new entrants in any business is differentiation and we believe that our offerings will make us stand apart from the rest of the competition. For instance, we have something called ‘Pizza by the Slice’ - each slice of a pizza can have a different topping giving you variety at the same cost,” he said.
While Pizza Hut and other popular chains have high advertising spends, new entrants have not been very big on this front. However, Kolaj said exclusivity and product differentiation would help the chain grow faster rather than big ad spends.
“We are not against ads or celebrity endorsements, but really that is the mandate of the master franchisee; they will be doing the spending. However, I would say that local celebrity association is something that we do as well,” he added.
Famous Famiglia, founded by the Kolaj family in 1986, has expanded to more than 100 outlets worldwide by targeting captive markets such as airports, motorways, universities, shopping centres, casinos, stadiums and theme parks.
It is 41st in the US-based Pizza Today magazine’s Top 100 pizza company rankings.
- Global yogurt chain to foray into India - Aug 21, 2011
- Jubilant FoodWorks Q4 net profit surges 85.87 percent - May 12, 2011
- Ledos Pizza Treat For The Loyal Customers - Oct 06, 2010
- KFC eyes 500 restaurants in India by 2015 - Dec 18, 2011
- Niche international food brands ready to enter Indian market - Dec 03, 2011
- Bharti inks deal with British chain for pizzerias - Oct 28, 2011
- Pizza Hut to open more stores that offer wine and beer - Dec 24, 2011
- Pizza Hut to open more stores that offer wine and beer (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Malabar Gold group to diversify into retailing of lifestyle products - Mar 30, 2012
- Jubilant FoodWorks Q3 net profit rises 55.47 percent - Feb 08, 2012
- Domino's opens 300th store in India with appetite for more - Mar 11, 2010
- Pollo Campero India to launch 50 stores by 2012 - Feb 10, 2010
- Pakistanis outraged as Pizza Hut scraps Ramadan offer - Aug 08, 2012
- US restaurtant chain Quiznos expands into India - Feb 05, 2011
- New-look Malabar Gold targets $6 bn turnover by 2015 - Mar 25, 2012