120,755 years for 3 Madrid train bombersNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:14 am ICT by admin
Thirty-two-year old Moroccan Othman El Gnaoui, who was the plot’s second-in-command received 42,924 years of imprisonment, and his compatriot 33-year old Jamal Zougam has been given 42,862 years.
Spaniard Emilio Trashorras, an ex-miner who provided the explosives, got 34,715 years.
Each were given 30 years for each of the 191 murders, 20 years for each of the 1,856 attempted murders and another 12 years for their association with terror outfit.
While most of the convicts talked and joked inside the special bullet-proof enclosure as sentences were read out, Zougam who had placed a bomb inside the train remained silent.
The conviction initially led to applause among spectators, but later on they felt that the sentencing was soft.
“The sentences seem soft and wishy-washy considering the atrocity they committed,” The Sun quoted Carlos Jeria, whose son had died in bombing, as saying.
The acquittal of Rabei Ahmed, known as Mohamed the Egyptian, who is alleged to have masterminded the attack, raised several eyebrows here.
Ahmed is currently serving sentence in a prison in Italy in connection with his association with other terrorist groups.
Pilar Manjon, whose 20-year-old son was killed, said: “I don’t like it that murderers are going free.” (ANI)
- Spanish court acquits four Madrid train bombers - Jul 17, 2008
- 'You have beautiful lips' - best Internet chat-up line for men to use - Dec 15, 2010
- Three sentenced to life for killing shoe baron - Sep 21, 2011
- Father-Son Duo Receive Death Sentence In Oregon Bank Bombing - Dec 23, 2010
- Three Brit Muslims awarded 20 years imprisonment in airline bombing plot - Jul 13, 2010
- Terrorist jailed for 23 years in Russia - May 24, 2012
- Two President's Bodyguards get life term for rape - Aug 24, 2012
- Adopted son sentenced to death for murdering parents, wife - Sep 04, 2012
- Hawara, four held guilty for Delhi twin blasts in 2005 (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Russian faces jail for killing his rapist - May 11, 2012
- Zardari remits sentences of prisoners - Feb 04, 2012
- Three sentenced to death for 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast - Apr 22, 2010
- Four jailed for killing lesbian in South Africa - Feb 02, 2012
- Climate talks near finale with agreements still on hold - Dec 10, 2010
- Somali pirate jailed for life in South Korea - May 27, 2011
Tags: acquittal, ahmed, atrocity, attempted murders, bullet proof, compatriot, convicts, jamal zougam, joked, moroccan, moroccans, murderers, othman, pilar manjon, sentences, spaniard, spaniards, terrorist groups, wishy washy