12,000 foreign ’sex slaves’ working in British brothels: ReportAugust 19th, 2010 - 1:43 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 19(ANI): A new report has revealed that up to 12,000 foreign women are being forced to work as ’sex slaves’ in British brothels by gangs running multi-million pound rackets.
According to the report commissioned by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO), at least 2,600 women were confirmed as being trafficked into England and Wales and forced to work as prostitutes.
A further 9,200 sex workers were considered to be “vulnerable migrants” working unwillingly in the sex trade, but researchers could not confirm that they had been trafficked.
The “sex slaves” live and work in appalling conditions and face kidnap, rape and imprisonment.
Police involved in the two-year study, called Project Acumen, also found that 96 per cent of prostitutes in London were migrants, while it was only 32 per cent in Yorkshire and the Humber.
Talking about the report, Nottinghamshire Deputy Chief Constable Chris Eyre, the ACPO head of migration crime, said: “Human trafficking for sexual exploitation involves the most extreme abuse of individuals in our communities.”"We recognise that Project Acumen focuses on only one area of trafficking, but it clearly sets out the scale of the problems that those in law enforcement, victim support, social care and border protection, collectively face.”"It provides us with a more sophisticated and nuanced understanding of how migrant women are involved in prostitution, how they are influenced, controlled, coerced, exploited and trafficked,”
The report further shows that half of the women were Chinese, with the majority of others from Eastern European and other Southeast Asian nations.
Police chiefs admitted that the number of Chinese prostitutes across the country surprised them.
“We need to step up our efforts and to do more to get a handle on why so many people are trafficked from China,” said Mohib Rahman, a Home Office official. (ANI)
- 12,000 foreign 'sex slaves' work in British brothels - Aug 19, 2010
- Half of trafficked sex workers in Britain are Chinese - Aug 20, 2010
- Some Sri Lankan TV actresses in prostitution ring - Jul 26, 2011
- Report says students being recruited in Victoria's Asian-dominated prostitution racket - Jan 21, 2010
- Albanian traffickers selling woman as sex slave for 3,000 pounds busted - Dec 07, 2009
- UN group honours Indian campaigner against sex trafficking - May 14, 2011
- Crusader against trafficking gets 'Man of the Year Award' - May 12, 2012
- Women put up for sale to stop female trafficking in Tel Aviv - Oct 22, 2010
- UK law to criminalize men having sex with "exploited" women - Mar 08, 2010
- Girls lured to Delhi CWG for work being sold to brothels - Sep 30, 2010
- Man held for locking up women as sex slaves - Sep 23, 2011
- Delhi sex workers challenge eviction order in court - Jul 26, 2012
- Argentine ex-spy accused of sex trafficking - Jan 31, 2012
- Russian woman to be extradited from Spain for trafficking - May 05, 2011
- 'Australia a source and destination for human trafficking for sexual servitude' - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: acumen, appalling conditions, association of chief police officers, border protection, brothels, chief police officers, chinese prostitutes, deputy chief constable, extreme abuse, foreign women, human trafficking, migrant women, police chiefs, prostitutes in london, sex slaves, sex trade, sex workers, sexual exploitation, southeast asian nations, victim support