12 self-immolate in bizarre ritual in PeruJune 7th, 2009 - 4:18 am ICT by IANS
Lima, June 7 (IANS) Twelve members of a Christian sect in Peru were killed after they reportedly set themselves on fire in a bizarre religious ritual, EFE news agency reported Saturday.
The gruesome ritual of the Nueva Esperanza (New Hope) community was discovered by police in Amazonas province following a complaint from the provincial governor, Wilder Rojas, who accused the Adventist congregation of trying to kidnap him.
When the police arrived on the scene, they found a man and his nine-year-old daughter being consumed by flames. The police tried but could not save the duo.
In another room, they found the charred remains of another 10 people, the daily Peru 21 said.
The police arrested the leader of the sect, Pedro Lopez Lancha, together with another three members of his church.
Lancha told police that the burned bodies belonged to criminals who set themselves on fire to wash away their sins.
- 17 die in Peru road accident - Apr 02, 2011
- 14 killed in Peru drug rehab fire - May 06, 2012
- Joran Van Der Sloot Charged In Peru Murder Case - Jun 03, 2010
- Jennifer Lopez arrives in Peru - Dec 05, 2011
- 19 dead in Peru bus accident - Feb 26, 2011
- 15 killed in Peru road accident (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- 15 killed in Peru road accident - Mar 17, 2012
- Chopper goes missing in Peru - Jun 08, 2012
- Nine dead as Peru van tumbles into ravine - Jan 28, 2012
- 16 die in Uttar Pradesh accident - May 19, 2012
- 18 killed in Peru road accidents - Nov 15, 2010
- Three die in Peru mining accident - Mar 03, 2012
- 17 killed in Peru bus accident - Nov 19, 2010
- Nine charred bodies found in Mexico - Nov 24, 2011
- Joran Van Der Sloot's Request To Nullify His Confession, Denied By Judge - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: bizarre ritual, christian sect, criminals, flames, governor wilder, immolate, leader of the sect, new hope community, news agency, nueva esperanza, pedro lopez, peru 21, peru lima, provincial governor, religious ritual