12 policemen injured in Mumbai firingNovember 27th, 2008 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 26 (IANS) At least 12 policemen were injured when unidentified criminals opened fire at security forces at three different locations in this commercial capital of India Wednesday night, officials said.The first incident took place at between 10.15 p.m. and 10.30 p.m. when bullets, apparently from automatic weapons, were fired at police and paramilitary forces outside the Taj Mahal Hotel in south Mumbai.
Police officials, who refused to speak on record because it was too early to confirm anything, said at least two rounds were fired near the luxurious hotel.
Minutes later, bullets were fired near Hotel Trident - another five-star hotel - barely a kilometre away from the Taj. Trident is in a high security zone and lies just behind Air India and Maharashtra legislature buildings.
Unidentified persons also opened random firing near Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, headquarters of the Central Railway, which is a world heritage building and remains crowded almost throughout the day.
The police officials refused to confirm if it was a terrorist attack or a gang war, but said apparently automatic rifles were used in the attacks. They didn’t rule out the use of AK rifles.
- Fire in Mumbai market, no casualties - Jun 27, 2012
- Chronology of Mumbai terror attack - Nov 29, 2008
- Terror strikes Mumbai again, 80 killed - Nov 27, 2008
- Congress leader held for Mumbai businessman's killing - Sep 21, 2010
- Kasab smiles during his death penalty hearing - Oct 18, 2010
- Scare at Obama hotel; Cop accidentally shoots self - Nov 07, 2010
- Three years on, India remembers 26/11 victims - Nov 26, 2011
- High court to decide on Kasab death sentence Feb 21 (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Kasab death sentence: Mumbai court to decide Feb 21 (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- 76 dead in Mumbai attacks, situation grave: Deshmukh - Nov 27, 2008
- Chidambaram to pay homage to Mumbai terror attack victims - Nov 25, 2010
- Most Mumbai targets were foreigners' favourite hangouts - Nov 27, 2008
- Mumbai remembers, prays for 26/11 victims - Nov 26, 2010
- 26/11, a grim reminder of our perilous neighbourhood: Antony - Nov 26, 2010
- Chidambaram pays tribute to 26/11 martyrs - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: ak rifles, automatic rifles, automatic weapons, capital of india, central railway, five star hotel, kilometre away from, maharashtra legislature, mumbai terror attack, south mumbai, taj mahal hotel