12 militants killed in RussiaDecember 28th, 2008 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 28 (RIA Novosti) Twelve militants, including a warlord, were killed in a security sweep in Russia’s Ingushetia republic, the Federal Security Service (FSB) said Sunday. The security action was part of an operation conducted from Dec 23-25 near the border with Chechnya, the FSB said.
Among the killed was warlord Vakhi Dzhenaraliyev, who led the group of the 12 militants.
Dzhenaraliyev was on the wanted list of the federal government for a long time for attacks on police and federal troopers.
The security forces also seized a large arsenal of arms and ammunition, the security service said.
Ingushetia, which borders Chechnya, has seen a marked increase in fighting between militants and federal troopers this year.
- Three militants killed in Dagestan - Jun 11, 2011
- 30 injured in blast in Russia - Aug 18, 2010
- Russian terror crimes down by 50 percent - Feb 15, 2012
- Six policemen killed in Russia attack - Sep 06, 2012
- Russia's Chechnya, Ingushetia involved in land grabbing row - Aug 27, 2012
- Two terrorists held over deadly attack in Russia - May 31, 2011
- Six militants killed in Russia - May 13, 2012
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Russian jailed for 14 years for 2010 bombing - May 31, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills seven at funeral - Aug 19, 2012
- Russian Muslim region MPs seek alcohol ban - Dec 03, 2011
- Two militants killed in Russia - Oct 23, 2010
- 13 militants killed in Russia's Dagestan - Sep 13, 2010
- Group of Russian brokers arrested in $3.2 bn scam - Nov 28, 2011
- Russian jailed for bombing that killed 19 - Apr 27, 2012