12 killed in Nepal road accidentOctober 5th, 2010 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
By Sudeshna Sarkar
Kathmandu, Oct 5 (IANS) At least 12 people were killed in a road accident in western Nepal Tuesday while on a pilgrimage to one of the holiest religious shrines in the Himalayan republic, police said.
The four-wheel vehicle, in which the pilgrims were travelling, veered off the road and plunged into the swirling Kaligandaki river in a village in Myagdi district.
The passengers were heading towards the northern Mustang district, famed for the shrine of Muktinath revered by Buddhists, Hindus and Jains alike.
Till Tuesday afternoon, only the car driver and his assistant were identified. The dead include six women and six men. A male passenger survived after he jumped out of the vehicle, police said.
The cause of the accident was not known immediately.
(Sudeshna Sarkar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- India helps fill gap in hallowed Nepal pilgrim shrine - Jun 21, 2010
- 15 Indians killed as jeep falls into Nepal river (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 36 Indians have miraculous escape in Nepal - Dec 25, 2010
- Dozens feared dead in Nepal bus mishap - Sep 06, 2010
- 15 Indians killed in Nepal accident (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- At least 7 Indians killed in Nepal plane crash (Second Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Eight Indians die in Nepal accident - Jul 28, 2012
- 13 Indians die in Nepal air crash (Third Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 35 killed in bus accident in Nepal - Jul 15, 2012
- 35 pilgrims killed in Nepal bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 13 Indians die as plane flies into Nepal cliff (Fifth Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 13 Indians die as plane crashes in Nepal (Sixth Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Kashmir survives another tragedy, this time without blood - Jul 01, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- 16 Amarnath devotees killed as truck falls into gorge (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: buddhists, car driver, himalayan, hindus, jains, muktinath, mustang district, oct 5, pilgrimage, pilgrims, religious shrines, road accident, sarkar, six men, tuesday afternoon, western nepal, wheel, wheel vehicle