12 killed in mine accident in RomaniaNovember 16th, 2008 - 6:59 am ICT by IANS
Bucharest, Nov 16 (DPA) Two underground explosions ripped through a coal mine in Romania Saturday, killing 12 miners and injuring eight, a news agency reported.Eight miners at the Petrila anthracite mine died in the first blast at a depth of 950 meters (3,100 feet). The second explosion killed four members of a rescue team that was lowered into the shaft, the Mediafax agency said.
Six of the injured were in critical condition with severe burns, the head of a local hospital said.
Ignition of methane gas inside the mine was the most likely cause of the explosions, the chief executive of the mining company said.
The mine at Petrila is operated by CNH Petrosani, Romania’s national anthracite extraction company. The complex is in the Jiu Valley, a coal mining region rife with poverty, in part because many mines have closed since the fall of communism two decades ago.
- Italian miner slits wrist during press conference - Aug 30, 2012
- 20 dead in China coal mine gas leak - Nov 10, 2011
- 20 killed in Colombia mine blast - Jan 27, 2011
- Gas explosion at southwest China mine kills at least 7 - Oct 29, 2010
- Majority of miners trapped after explosion at Russia's largest coal mine rescued - May 09, 2010
- Struggle to rescue 22 trapped miners in China - Nov 11, 2011
- Two dead, 120 missing after explosion at Russia's largest coal mine rescued - May 09, 2010
- Indonesia coal mine blast toll rises to 28 - Jun 17, 2009
- Toll in Russian mine blasts climbs to 60 - May 12, 2010
- Shaft collapses at coal mine in southwest China, killing 5 - Sep 25, 2011
- At least 11 dead, 66 missing after explosions at Russia's largest coal mine - May 09, 2010
- Nine dead in China coal mine accident - Apr 24, 2012
- Six dead in central China coal mine gas leak - Nov 16, 2011
- Indonesia coal mine blast toll rises to 32 (Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- 45 trapped miners rescued from Chinese coal mine - Nov 05, 2011