12 killed in floods, landslides in PhilippinesFebruary 21st, 2008 - 4:06 pm ICT by admin
Manila, Feb 21 (DPA) At least 12 people were killed and several more missing due to floods and landslides triggered by a week of heavy rains in the eastern Philippines, relief officials said Thursday. The impoverished province of Eastern Samar, 630 km southeast of Manila, was the worst hit, with nine people killed in the floods there.
Two more were killed in the nearby province of Leyte, while another was buried by a landslide in Albay province.
The National Disaster Coordinating Council said a total of 123,651 people had been displaced by the floods and landslides in seven eastern and central provinces.
The council said initial estimates on damages to crops, property and infrastructure amounted to about 610 billion pesos ($15 million).
The weather bureau said the heavy rains were triggered by a low-pressure system.
- 11 die in Philippines storm - Aug 08, 2012
- Typhoon Nesat kills 31 in Philippines - Sep 28, 2011
- Philippines typhoon toll reaches 43 - Sep 30, 2011
- Floods, landslides kill 40 in Philippines - Jan 12, 2011
- Flashfloods displace 25,000 in the Philippines - Feb 20, 2012
- At least 11 missing as tropical storm 'Falcon' hits Philippines - Jun 24, 2011
- At least 20 dead in Philippines floods, landslides - Feb 22, 2008
- 12 dead, three mn hit by China storms - Jul 14, 2012
- Floods wreak havoc in China (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Death toll in Philippines' weather disasters rises to 26 - Feb 23, 2008
- Toll in Philippine typhoon reaches 65 - Jul 17, 2010
- 44 killed in China floods - Jun 10, 2011
- At least 10 dead in eastern Philippines floods - Feb 20, 2008
- 55,000 evacuated as fresh floods hit China - Jun 15, 2011
- 11 killed in south China rains - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: central provinces, crops, damages, dpa, floods, heavy rains, infrastructure, initial estimates, landslide, landslides in philippines, national disaster coordinating council, province of eastern samar, province of leyte, relief officials, weather bureau