12 killed in China riotsFebruary 28th, 2012 - 10:56 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 28 (IANS) A violent mob Tuesday chopped to death at least 10 people in China’s Muslim-majority Xinjiang Uygur region, following which police chased the mob and shot dead at least two rioters.
The clash took place in Yecheng county of Kashgar prefecture, Xinhua reported.
Witnesses said the mob attacked the victims on Xingfu Street around 6 p.m.
BBC said security has been high in the northwestern province since riots took place in 2009 in the provincial capital Urumqi between the Muslim Uyghurs, who are the largest ethnic group, and the Han Chinese community.
- 12 killed in China riots (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Man gets death for terror attack in China - Mar 27, 2012
- Four get death sentence for China terror attacks - Sep 15, 2011
- Death toll in China riots rises to 156 - Jul 07, 2009
- Seven killed in China attack - Jul 31, 2011
- China vows crackdown over Xinjiang attacks - Aug 02, 2011
- Four killed in China ethnic clashes - Jul 06, 2009
- Muslims celebrate Eid in China - Aug 31, 2011
- China to recruit 8,000 police officers - Jan 31, 2012
- Over 1,400 evacuated after quake hits China - Dec 02, 2011
- 140 dead in China's ethnic clashes (Lead) - Jul 06, 2009
- Toxic gas leak kills five in China - May 09, 2012
- China blames terrorists trained in Pakistan for Xinjiang attack (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- 16 killed, 21 injured in road accident in Tibet - Mar 15, 2011
- 156 dead, over 1,400 arrested in riot-hit Chinese city (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2009