12 killed as vehicle plunges into abyss in PeruJuly 13th, 2008 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
Lima, July 13 (IANS) At least 12 people have been killed when a vehicle they were travelling in plunged 100 meters down an abyss in western Peru, EFE news agency has reported citing media reports. According Radio Programas del Peru (RPP), the accident occurred Saturday when the vehicle carrying 23 passengers skidded off the highway near the peasant community of Vichaycocha, some 100 km, north of Peru’s capital Lima.
The injured were rushed to a nearby hospital.
An investigation into the cause of the accident has been opened.
Last Tuesday six people, including a Frenchman and a Chilean citizen, were killed when a bus crashed down a 150-metre ravine in the Moquegua region, some 1,225 km south of Lima.
The rate of accidents in remote areas of Peru is very high because of the deteriorating condition of roads. Obsolete automobiles and faulty licence issuing system are the other factors behind the high rate of accidents in the South American country.
- 15 die in Peru bus accident - Sep 14, 2012
- 17 killed in Peru bus accident - May 05, 2010
- 15 killed in Peru road accident (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Nine dead as Peru van tumbles into ravine - Jan 28, 2012
- 91 cops ill after having chicken soup in Peru - Apr 23, 2012
- 40 killed in Peru bus accident - Dec 25, 2009
- 11 killed in Peru road accident - Sep 02, 2012
- Bodies of two US mountaineers found in Peru - Jul 30, 2012
- Inmate kills girlfriend, stashes body in cell at Peru prison - Nov 30, 2010
- 15 killed in Peru road accident - Mar 17, 2012
- Peruvian cyclists take to road in buff - Mar 15, 2010
- 19 dead in Peru bus accident - Feb 26, 2011
- 17 die in Peru road accident - Apr 02, 2011
- 12 die in Peru bus collision - Aug 29, 2010
- Seven dead after small plane crash in Ica, Peru - Feb 26, 2010