12 killed as Taliban, locals clash in PakistanSeptember 30th, 2008 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 29 (DPA) At least 12 people were killed Monday when Taliban militants and local tribesmen exchanged heavy gunfire in Pakistan’s restive tribal district of Bajaur, security officials said.The fighting started when an army of volunteers from the Salarzai tribe tried to set ablaze the houses of the insurgents.
Pakistani soldiers launched an operation in Bajaur early August to retake a strategically important checkpoint from the rebels along the Afghan border.
“At least nine locals and three Taliban militants, including their commander in the area, Abdul Mutallab, died in the firefight, while six more people were injured,” a security official said requesting anonymity.
In some areas of Bajaur, locals have been defying the Taliban and its hard-line Shariah law.
Members of three tribes - the Salarzai, Tarkhani and Utmankhel - have announced they intend to defend their respective areas against the fundamentalist Islamic group that ruled Afghanistan until it was ousted in late 2001 in a US-led invasion.
Bajaur is a stronghold of Al Qaeda and Taliban militants for launching crossborder attacks on the international forces in Afghanistan.
Some military experts said success by Pakistani forces against Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters in Bajaur would be a major breakthrough in the fight against rising Islamic militancy in the country.
So far, more than 500 militants and dozens of soldiers have died in the operation.
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- Taliban, Al Qaeda fight to death in Pakistan - Sep 29, 2008
- Obama condemns 'outrageous' suicide attack in northwestern Pak - Dec 26, 2010
- Suicide attack in Pakistan affront to humanity: Obama (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
- Troops kill 30 militants in Pakistan - Mar 05, 2010
- Eight killed in Pakistan blast (Second Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Twin blasts rock Pakistan's tribal area - Jan 29, 2011
- Pakistani tribe to surrender Taliban leaders under peace pact - Mar 11, 2009
- Taliban commander ends truce with Pakistan Army after Osama killing - May 05, 2011
- Seven soldiers killed in Pakistan - Mar 10, 2012
- Pakistani tribesmen, military kill 32 Taliban (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2009
- Taliban lose their `Hilton' after border battle - Mar 04, 2010
- Female suicide bomber kills 44 in Pakistan (Fifth Lead) - Dec 25, 2010