12 inmates escape as attackers bust Mexican prisonJanuary 18th, 2011 - 11:02 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Jan 18 (IANS/EFE) A dozen inmates escaped from a prison in Mexico’s northern state of Chihuahua after armed men rammed a vehicle through a security fence, authorities said.The breakout occurred around 5.00 a.m. Monday at the prison in Aquiles Serdan, near Chihuahua city, the state capital.
The attackers fired shots to distract the guards before using their vehicle to knock down the fence, allowing 12 inmates to escape.
One of the inmates was, however, recaptured, the state attorney general’s office said.
Security was boosted inside the prison as the search continued for the 11 others.
Authorities did not say whether the prisoners were linked to drug cartels or organised crime gangs, as had been the case in previous instances where inmates fled with help from outside.
Prison breaks have become frequent amid the ongoing conflict among gangs and Mexican security forces.
At least 400 prisoners escaped across the nation last year, including 151 inmates who fled in December from a prison in northeastern Tamaulipas state.
Dozens of guards were arrested in connection with that incident.
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- 41 Mexican guards to go on trial for jailbreak - Dec 29, 2010
- 41 guards arrested over Mexico prison escape - Dec 22, 2010
- 85 prisoners escape from Mexico jail - Sep 11, 2010
- 150 inmates escape from Mexico prison - Dec 19, 2010
- 29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacre - Feb 24, 2012
- 31 killed in Mexico prison fight - Jan 06, 2012
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- Over 200 kidnap victims killed in Mexico in 2010 - Feb 04, 2011
- 17 escape from prison in Mexican border city - May 26, 2011
- 44 die in fight at Mexican prison (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Mexican cartels moving drugs in armoured vehicles - Jan 18, 2012
- Two tonnes of marijuana found in Mexican cemetery - Jul 30, 2012
- Mexican army kills eight in shootout - Feb 19, 2011
- Seven killed in Mexico violence - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: armed men, attackers, authorities, breakout, bust, chihuahua, crime gangs, dozen inmates, dozens, drug cartels, instances, mexican prison, mexican security, mexico city, prisoners, security fence, security forces, serdan, state attorney general, tamaulipas state