12 hostages rescued from Somali piratesApril 13th, 2012 - 2:55 am ICT by IANS
Copenhagen, April 13 (IANS) A Danish warship apprehended a pirate ship off Somalia’s coast and released 12 hostages, including a few Pakistanis, held on board, Denmark’s navy said Thursday.
The warship Absalon, part of NATO-led anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden, stopped the pirate ship Wednesday. A total of 16 suspected pirates were arrested and are now on board the warship, Xinhua cited the navy as saying in a statement.
The 12 hostages, said to be from Iran and Pakistan, who were held on the pirate ship for over a month, were released from captivity. They are now sailing home, the statement said.
No shots were fired during the operation and no casualties were reported, the navy said.
Danish authorities are now examining whether the suspected pirates can be prosecuted.
According to Danish broadcaster TV2, the country’s warships have captured a total of 280 pirates off Somalia’s coast. But only 37 have been prosecuted, with the rest set free.
- Danish warship frees Pakistani, Iranian hostages - Jan 09, 2012
- Danish warship rescues 12 hostages from Somali pirates - Apr 13, 2012
- Seychelles to prosecute four pirates - Apr 30, 2012
- Denmark to deploy surveillance aircraft against Somali pirates - Oct 28, 2011
- Danish forces free 25 hostages held by Somali pirates - Feb 05, 2010
- NATO warship seizes 'pirate mother ship' off Somalia - Feb 13, 2011
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Hostage crisis: Navy rushes warship to Somali coast - Apr 18, 2011
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- India tweaks navy's anti-piracy rules of engagement (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- 3 rescued sailors return home - Mar 16, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Somali leader backs Indian action against pirates (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Danish ship taken hostage by Somali pirates - Mar 01, 2011
- Without UN effort, piracy elimination difficult: India - Jun 27, 2011
Tags: anti piracy, broadcaster, captivity, casualties, copenhagen, danish authorities, denmark, gulf of aden, hostages, iran, nato, navy, pakistan, pakistanis, pirate ship, sailing home, somali pirates, somalia, warships, xinhua