12 factory workers killed in Philippines blastApril 8th, 2009 - 11:18 am ICT by IANS
Manila, April 8 (DPA) Twelve factory workers were killed and five injured when a boiler at a Styrofoam packaging plant exploded in the Philippines, the police said Wednesday.
The explosion occurred Tuesday evening as night shift employees worked at the factory in Santa Maria town in Bulacan province, just north of Manila.
The town’s police chief, superintendent Marcos Rivero, said five workers died on the spot while others were trapped under concrete and steel debris as the blast destroyed the factory.
“The explosion was very powerful,” he said. “Some of the fatalities were buried in rubble while others died while undergoing treatment in nearby hospitals.”
Rivero said rescuers were checking if there were workers still trapped in the debris.
He said an initial investigation showed the boiler overheated, causing it to explode. Investigators have so far not found evidence of sabotage.
- Five workers killed in Punjab factory blast - Aug 21, 2010
- Pakistani rescued from rubble after 47 hours - Feb 08, 2012
- Four killed in Pakistan bombing - Aug 05, 2012
- Pakistan factory blast toll rises to 11 - Feb 07, 2012
- 20 killed in fireworks factory explosion - Sep 05, 2012
- At least 11 missing as tropical storm 'Falcon' hits Philippines - Jun 24, 2011
- Several trapped as factory building collapses in Jalandhar (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Two Indians among three abducted in Philippines rescued - Oct 17, 2010
- At least 4 people killed and 14 injured after bus bomb in Philippines - Jan 25, 2011
- Jalandhar factory collapse: one dead, several trapped (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Several workers trapped as Jalandhar building collapses - Apr 16, 2012
- Student dies in China school blast - Feb 23, 2012
- Six more killed in cracker shop blast in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 24, 2012
- Blast in Turkey leather factory - Oct 04, 2010
- Six killed in helicopter crash in Philippines - May 17, 2010
Tags: boiler, chief superintendent, concrete and steel, debris, explosion, initial investigation, investigators, nearby hospitals, night shift, philippines, police chief, rescuers, rubble, sabotage, santa maria, shift employees, styrofoam packaging, tuesday evening, undergoing treatment