12 civilians killed in Afghanistan blastsMarch 21st, 2010 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, March 21 (DPA) A suicide bomber targeted an Afghan army convoy in southern Afghanistan Sunday, killing 10 civilians as two other people were killed in an explosion at the New Year’s celebration in eastern region, officials said.
The bomber, who was driving a motorbike loaded with explosives, targeted the army convoy in the main market of Gerishk district in southern province of Helmand Sunday afternoon, Daoud Ahmadi, spokesman for the provincial governor said.
“Ten people were killed and seven others were injured. They are all civilians,” Ahmadi told DPA. He did not know whether there were any casualties among the soldiers.
The attack took place on a bridge in the district, destroying the bridge and plunging a number of people down into the river, he said, adding “The death toll could rise”.
Meanwhile, two other people were killed and four injured Sunday when a bomb was detonated near a large crowd in Koh Baba area of south-eastern province of Khost, Mohammad Yaqoub, the provincial police chief said.
It was not known if the explosion was triggered by a roadside bomb or explosive hidden inside a vehicle, he said. Several vehicles parked near a shrine, where the people had gathered to mark the new year day, were damaged.
At least three explosions also rocked eastern city of Jalalabad, the capital for Nangarhar, Saturday night, but there were no casualties, Abdul Ghafour, a police spokesman in the province said.
The blasts occurred near a compound, where the provincial governor and the local residents were celebrating the new year eve.
Afghan security forces have boosted their presence in major cities, including Kabul, in the past three days as authorities had warned of more Taliban attack during the new year festivities.
- 10 die in Afghanistan airport suicide blast - Feb 27, 2012
- Ten troops killed in bloody day for ISAF in Afghanistan - Jun 08, 2010
- Eight Afghan civilians killed in attacks - Jun 03, 2010
- 16 killed in Afghan blast, air attack - Sep 13, 2010
- 11 civilians killed in Afghan mine blast - Feb 28, 2010
- 20 killed as suicide bomber targets funeral in Afghanistan (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Seven die in Afghanistan blast - Feb 28, 2012
- Blasts kill 10 civilians in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 23, 2010
- Two kids killed in Afghan bombing - Apr 12, 2012
- Blast kills seven civilians in Afghanistan - Feb 23, 2010
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Triple suicide bombings kill 18 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Afghan militants kill four on spying charges - Feb 21, 2012
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- Five US, British soldiers killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
Tags: blasts, celebrating the new year, convoy, death toll, jalalabad, kabul, khost, large crowd, motorbike, new year eve, police chief, police spokesman, provincial governor, provincial police, roadside bomb, security forces, south eastern province, southern afghanistan, southern province, suicide bomber