11 wounded in Vienna gurdwara clashMay 24th, 2009 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, May 24 (DPA) At least 11 people were wounded, some severely, in a knife and gun attack Sunday morning involving rival Sikh groups in a gurdwara in the Austrian capital.
According to the APA news agency, the incident took place during a sermon by a guest guru from India.
It is believed that at least six members of another Viennese Sikh community stood up during the sermon and attacked the speaker with knives and a gun. At least three shots were fired, the report said.
During the melee, members of the congregation pounced upon the attackers and overpowered them, beating some severely.
No information of the motive for the attack was immediately available.
- 11 hurt in Austrian gurdwara clash (Lead) - May 24, 2009
- Sikh guru dies after Austrian gurudwara attack - May 25, 2009
- Murdered sect leader's remains to be brought to India - May 31, 2009
- Vienna gurudwara clash triggers tension in Punjab - May 25, 2009
- Curfew in Jalandhar after Vienna Gurudwara clash (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Arms haul from arrested Sikh's house in Vienna (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- In Vienna, followers pay last respects to Rama Nand - Jun 02, 2009
- Seventh Vienna gurdwara shootout suspect arrested after firefight with police - Jun 16, 2009
- Body of sect leader killed in Vienna to be flown to India - May 25, 2009
- India condemns Vienna gurdwara violence, wants attackers punished - May 25, 2009
- India condemns Vienna violence, wants attackers punished (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Punjab tense after night of violence, army called in - May 25, 2009
- Man who led Vienna attack also in hospital - May 29, 2009
- Indian Sikh guru dies in Austrian gurdwara attack, six arrested (Second Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Indian Sikh guru dies in Austrian gurdwara clash, six held (Lead) - May 25, 2009