11 Taliban militants killed in AfghanistanDecember 20th, 2008 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Dec 20 (DPA) Afghan forces backed by international troops killed 10 militants in the restive south of Afghanistan, while another militant was killed by his own bomb, officials said Saturday.Two were insurgent commanders targeted during an operation in the Seyori district of southern Zabul province Friday night, according to Yaqoub Zabuli, the provincial police chief.
“Mullah Hekmatullah and Mullah Abdul Rahman, two local Taliban commanders, were killed,” Zabuli said, adding that the joint Afghan and NATO-led forces suffered no casualties.
In another incident, Afghan forces backed by coalition troops killed eight militants and wounded five Friday in Nad Ali district of southern Helmand province, the interior ministry said.
Another militant died when a bomb he tried to plant on a road in Lashkargah, the capital of Helmand province, went off prematurely, the ministry said in a statement.
The southern provinces of Helmand, Kandahar, Zabul and Uruzgan have borne the brunt of Taliban-led insurgency since the ouster of the Islamic fundamentalist regime late 2001.
Helmand, which is also Afghanistan’s largest opium-producing province, saw three Danish soldiers and a Dutchman serving with NATO-led forces killed in roadside attacks Friday.
Wary of the growing influence of Taliban militants, the US recently announced it was boosting its 32,000-strong military force in Afghanistan by another 20,000.
- 13 insurgents killed, 8 held in Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011
- 18 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 27, 2010
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Mar 06, 2011
- 20 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 24, 2012
- 39 civilians killed in July 23 NATO attack in Afghanistan - Aug 05, 2010
- 14 killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 22, 2010
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Aug 18, 2010
- Seven die in Afghanistan blast - Feb 28, 2012
- 30 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 02, 2012
- 61 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2012
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- 20 Taliban militants killed - Jun 24, 2012
- Taliban leader, five others killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- 33 insurgents killed in Afghanistan - Aug 26, 2012
- 36 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 05, 2012