11 survive Russian plane crash (Lead)April 2nd, 2012 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 2 (IANS) Eleven people were injured and 32 people were killed when their aircraft crashed Monday near a city in Siberia, Russian authorities said.
A UTair ATR-72 plane bound from Tyumen to Surgut fell on takeoff Monday at 5.50 a.m.. There were 39 passengers and four crew on board.
The toll in the air crash near the Urals city of Tyumen has risen to 32, the regional department of the Emergencies Ministry said.
Eleven people were injured in the crash. All those injured are in intensive care, doctors said.
All crewmembers died, a source close to air traffic controllers told RIA Novosti.
A rescue operation headquarters spokesperson said the aircraft fell some two km from a village near Roshchnino Airport.
A criminal case has been opened, Investigative Committee spokesperson Vladimir Markin said.
Rescuers have discovered both flight recorders on the site. The reason for the crash has not been identified yet.
Valentin Tarasov, a deputy prosecutor in Tyumen, said one person who was to have flown on board the aircraft failed to appear for the flight, which may have saved his life.
- 16 die in Russian plane crash - Apr 02, 2012
- 31 die, 12 survive in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- UTair passenger plane crashes in Siberia, killing 31 - Apr 02, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes in Russia's Far East, killing 10 - Sep 13, 2012
- Angara passenger plane crashes in Siberia, killing 5 - Jul 11, 2011
- Four killed in Russian chopper crash - Jul 05, 2012
- Russian fighter jet crashes into mountain range, killing two - Sep 06, 2011
- 44 die in Russia plane crash (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Four Americans killed in Bahamas plane crash - Mar 27, 2012
- Russian airline orders 20 Airbus planes - Jul 13, 2012
- 44 killed in Russia plane crash - Jun 21, 2011
- One killed in Russian chopper's hard landing - Dec 20, 2011
- 'Bird hit likely cause for cargo plane crash in Karachi' - Nov 29, 2010
- Near-collision of planes averted at Mumbai airport - Apr 19, 2010
- Fighter jet crashes in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
Tags: air crash, air traffic controllers, care doctors, criminal case, deputy prosecutor, flight recorders, intensive care, investigative committee, markin, regional department, rescuers, ria novosti, russian authorities, russian plane crash, spokesperson, takeoff, tyumen, urals, utair, valentin