11 sentenced to death for Karnataka church blastsNovember 29th, 2008 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Nov 29 (IANS) A Karnataka court Saturday handed out death sentence to 11 people and life imprisonment to 12 members of a banned religious sect for bomb blasts in several churches in the state in 2000.The 23 belong to a sect called Deendar Channabasaveshwara Anjuman founded by Moulana Siddique in 1924 in Gulbarga district in north Karnataka.
Besides Karnataka, the sect members are also accused of setting off explosions in churches in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh and Goa. Though the sect was started in Gulbarga, its head office was in Asif Nagar, Hyderabad, according to the Karnataka police.
The explosions were set off in around 13 churches, including four in Karnataka - one in Wadi in Gulbarga, one in Hubli in north Karnataka district of Dharwad and two in Bangalore, between May and July 2000.
The central government has banned the sect.
A special court headed by S.M. Shivanagoudar pronounced death and life imprisonment sentences after eight years of hearing the case.
Shivanagoudar said though no one was killed during these blasts, the attacks amounted to anti-national activities.
Mohmad Ibrahim, Shaikh Hasham Ali, Hasnuzama, Abdul Rehaman Saith, Amanath Husain Mulla, Mohmad Sharfuddin, Sayed Muneerudin Mulla, Mohmad Akhil Ahmed, Ijahar Baigh, Sayed Abbas Ali and Mohmad Khalid Choudary were given the death sentence.
Life sentence was given to Mohmad Farook Ali, Mohmad Siddiqi, Abdul Habeeb, Shamshuzama, Shaikh Fardin Vali, Sayed Abdul Khader Zilani, Mohmad Giyasuddin, Meerasab Koujalagi, Rish Hiremath, Basheer Ahmed, Mohmad Husain and Sangli Basha.
The Karnataka police told the special court that though the sect was started apparently for establishing religious equality, there was a hidden agenda of “jehad” to attain Islamisation of India.
After the death of sect founder Moulana Siddique in April 1952, his eldest son Zia-Ul-Hasan became head of the sect and is now settled in Mardan, Pakistan, with his family, the police said.
- List of those sentenced in Godhra case - Mar 01, 2011
- Akshardham case: Gujarat High Court upholds death sentence - Jun 01, 2010
- Four sentenced to death in Bahrain for killing policemen during protests - Apr 29, 2011
- For M.F. Husain, Shahnaz Husain was empress Noor Jahan (With Images) - Jul 03, 2011
- Ijaz to appear before memo commission Jan 16 (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- US 'won't compromise' on Pak's democracy: Obama - Oct 21, 2010
- Husain was a true lover of India: Shabana - Jun 11, 2011
- For love's sake, three end life on V-Day in Karnataka - Feb 14, 2012
- Couldn't spend much time with brother: Husain's sister - Jun 09, 2011
- UAE bank opens office in China - Jun 16, 2012
- 26/11 attacks: Bombay HC to decide on Kasab's death penalty - Feb 21, 2011
- Kaskar attack: Seven booked under stringent law - Sep 14, 2011
- Kasab death sentence: Bombay HC to announce verdict on Feb 21 - Feb 07, 2011
- Karnataka by-polls: Siddaramaiah quits as opposition leader - Sep 16, 2010
- Akshardham temple attack: Death for three confirmed - Jun 01, 2010