11 Russian sailors drown on rescue bid in the ArcticAugust 28th, 2010 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 28 (DPA) Eleven Russian sailors drowned in the Arctic after their rescue vessel went down in stormy seas on a mission to try to help a fishing boat in distress, it was reported Saturday.
The Moscow daily Komsomolskaya Pravda reported that the Alexey Kulakowski sank in the early hours of Friday in the Laptev Sea, around 35 km outside the port of Tiksi.
The 30-year-old captain of the ship, and two mechanics, aged around 19 and 20 years, from the sinking vessel were rescued.
But the search for the 11 remaining sailors was fruitless. A helicopter only found an empty inflatable rescue raft in the freezying 4-degrees-centigrade waters.
According to some reports, there were only two life-jackets onboard for the 14 crew members.
The rescue vessel was answering a distress call from the fishing boat which had reported engine problems. However, it later developed that the crew of the fishing boat remained unharmed.
It was not immediately clear why the rescue vessel capsized and sank. The shipyard where it was built said it designed specifically for such weather and sea conditions.
- Russian tugboat with crewmembers sinks in Laptev Sea - Aug 27, 2010
- US forces rescue six more Iranian sailors - Jan 11, 2012
- Five dead, several other crews missing as S. Korean boat sinks in Antarctica - Dec 13, 2010
- Five die, 17 missing as South Korean boat sinks off Antarctica - Dec 13, 2010
- Three dead as boat catches fire in Antarctica - Jan 11, 2012
- 10 missing after ship sinks off south China coast - Dec 04, 2010
- Coast Guard rescues six fishermen from rough sea (With Images) - May 20, 2011
- Five Russian journalists set free by Libyan rebels - Apr 09, 2011
- Four fishing boats sink off Maharashtra town, 18 missing - Sep 03, 2011
- Kerala boat hit-and-run: Cargo ship sailor arrested - Mar 08, 2012
- Indian Coast Guard rescue two Australian sailors - Oct 19, 2011
- Probe against cop using security vessel for fishing - Oct 11, 2010
- Refurbished aircraft carrier for India begins sea trials - Jun 08, 2012
- Man with binoculars killed near Ukraine nudist beach - Aug 29, 2012
- Sailor dies, six others go missing after a vessel capsizes off Gujarat coast - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: crew members, distress call, fishing boat, helicopter, komsomolskaya pravda, kulakowski, laptev sea, life jackets, mechanics, moscow, old captain, raft, rescue vessel, russian sailors, sea conditions, shipyard, stormy seas, weather