11 killed in Syria bus attackJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 3:33 am ICT by IANS
Damascus, Jan 23 (IANS) At least 11 people were killed Sunday when armed groups attacked a bus in Syria, Xinhua reported.
The bus was transporting 14 passengers, including military personnel, when it came under attack in the central province of Homs, according to the local Sham FM radio.
The attack took place at the al-Fakhoura roundabout in Homs, when the bus was starting its trip to Damascus.
Homs, with a population of 800,000 people, has witnessed severe clashes between troops loyal to President Bashar al-Assad and armed groups allegedly consisting of army defectors.
Damascus said some 2,000 army and security personnel have been killed since the unrest began in March 2011, while the UN has reported more than 5,000 deaths from the violence.
- Significant devastation in Syria's Homs: UN official - Mar 09, 2012
- At least 55 killed in Syria pro-democracy violence - Mar 26, 2011
- Terrorist infiltration attempt foiled in Syria - Apr 28, 2012
- 25 killed in fresh Syria massacre - Jun 22, 2012
- Syria frees hundreds of political prisoners - Dec 29, 2011
- Syrian President al-Assad signs draft constitution - Feb 28, 2012
- Over 3,000 protesters rally in Syria - May 14, 2011
- Car bomb rocks Damascus suburb, hits peace deal - Apr 25, 2012
- 80 policemen killed in Syria - Jun 07, 2011
- European group calls for UNSC arms embargo on Syria - Apr 27, 2012
- Six killed in firing on protesters in Syria - Jun 25, 2011
- 18 premature babies die in Syrian hospital - Feb 09, 2012
- Italy recalls ambassador to Syria, urges EU countries to do the same - Aug 02, 2011
- Pakistan asks citizens not to travel to Syria - Jul 21, 2012
- UN concerned over Syria violence escalation - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: army, bashar al assad, central province, clashes, damascus, deaths, defectors, fm radio, homs, military personnel, population, president bashar, security personnel, sham, syria, unrest, violence, xinhua