11 killed, dozens missing as bus falls into Nepal riverSeptember 10th, 2009 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, Sep 10 (IANS) At least 11 passengers died and dozens more are feared to have perished as an overcrowded bus plunged into a river in northern Nepal Thursday.
Police in Sundhupalchowk district said the accident occurred in a village called Sukute while the bus was heading towards Kathmandu.
Carrying about 50 passengers, the vehicle veered off the mountain road and fell almost 30m below into the swirling Sunkoshi river fed with heavy rain in the past few days.
By the afternoon, police and locals had succeeded in rescuing four people from the river while 11 bodies had been found.
Only four of the victims had been identified so far, police said.
The toll, it is feared, would rise as dozens of passengers are still missing.
The remoteness of the village as well as the strength of the river current had made rescue work difficult and hazardous, police said.
Nepal has one of the highest rates of road accidents in the world with bad roads, old vehicles and reckless drivers contributing to it.
Most public buses are overcrowded defying safety regulations with people crammed on the roof during the eve of festivals and drivers are overworked, driving while under the influence of alcohol or falling asleep while behind the wheel.
- 20 killed as bus falls into Nepal river (Lead) - Sep 10, 2009
- 42 killed in Nepal bus accident - Oct 13, 2011
- Dozens feared dead in Nepal bus mishap - Sep 06, 2010
- 36 Indian pilgrims die in Nepal bus crash (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 25 killed in Nepal bus accident (Lead) - Mar 18, 2010
- 15 Indians killed as jeep falls into Nepal river (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 18 killed in Nepal bus accident - Mar 18, 2010
- 28 killed in twin Nepal accidents - May 04, 2011
- 12 killed in Nepal road accident - Oct 05, 2010
- 17 killed in Nepal bus accident - Jul 17, 2012
- 35 pilgrims killed in Nepal bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Fourth Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 35 killed in bus accident in Nepal - Jul 15, 2012
- Twenty injured in Kashmir road accident - Feb 27, 2012