11 hurt in Austrian gurdwara clash (Lead)May 24th, 2009 - 11:45 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, May 24 (DPA) At least 11 people were wounded, many severely, in an armed attack involving rival Sikh groups in a gurdwara here Sunday morning.
According to the APA news agency, the incident took place during a sermon by two guest gurus from India. Previous reports spoke of only one guru.
According to witnesses, several bearded and turbaned men equipped with at least one firearm stormed the temple during sermons by the guest speakers.
“Suddenly they took a gun and shot directly at the preachers,” said one woman present.
The attack triggered panic among the 100 people of the liberal Sikh congregation, few of whom wore the traditional untrimmed beard and long hair woven into a turban that is typical Sikhism practice.
During the melee, members of the congregation pounced upon the attackers and overpowered them, beating some severely.
The visiting gurus, both of whom were severely wounded, had been previously guests at the temple, which was first opened in 2005. Though having many followers in India, the two were rejected as heterodox by a rival Vienna Sikh community.
Police believe the conflict was based on doctrinal differences between the more traditional Sikh community and the liberal group whose temple was the scene of the attack.
- Sikh guru dies after Austrian gurudwara attack - May 25, 2009
- 11 wounded in Vienna gurdwara clash - May 24, 2009
- Vienna gurudwara clash triggers tension in Punjab - May 25, 2009
- Curfew in Jalandhar after Vienna Gurudwara clash (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Punjab tense after night of violence, army called in - May 25, 2009
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- World Turban Day to honour Sikh identity - Apr 13, 2010
- Varanasi's Ravidassia sect shocks Sikh community - Feb 04, 2010
- Let Sikhs wear turban, beard: New York official - Aug 13, 2012
- White House celebrates Guru Nanak's birth anniversary (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Sikhs have faced over 700 attacks since 9/11 - Aug 06, 2012
- Obama's upcoming visit to Golden Temple will boost Sikhs image: Diaspora - Sep 16, 2010
- Body of sect leader killed in Vienna to be flown to India - May 25, 2009
- US Muslim group offers reward in shooting of two Sikhs - Mar 07, 2011
- Golden Temple honors Hindu statesman - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: attackers, community police, doctrinal differences, dpa, followers, guest speakers, gurus, heterodox, liberal group, long hair, may 24, melee, news agency, pounced, preachers, sermon, sermons, sikh community, turban, turbaned men