11 dead in Russia floodingOctober 17th, 2010 - 5:51 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least 11 people were killed due to flooding in southern Russia caused by overflow of rivers after torrential rains, an official said.
“According to the latest information, 11 people are dead and three are missing,” a spokesman for the southern Krasnodar Territory said Saturday.
Torrential rains in the mountainous areas caused rivers to overflow, flooding 21 villages. About 300 people, including 70 children, were evacuated. Local authorities imposed an emergency status in the area.
President Dmitry Medvedev has asked Regional Development Minister Viktor Basargin to assess the damage and take measures to help those affected.
Krasnodar Territory governor Alexander Tkachev said the flooding damage will be worth several hundred million rubles.
- Russia to spend $280 mn on flood-hit town - Jul 16, 2012
- Putin visits flood affected region - Jul 08, 2012
- Russians need good wine, not vodka : Medvedev - Aug 23, 2011
- Russia rains: Toll rises to nearly 80 (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Rains, floods kill 50 in Russia - Jul 07, 2012
- Two Russian women killed by hurricane - Jan 28, 2012
- Putin reaches flood-hit town - Jul 16, 2012
- Over 140 dead in Russian floods (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia mourns flood deaths - Jul 09, 2012
- Floods hit homes in Russia - Apr 22, 2012
- Russia to spend $44 bn on Arctic projects - Apr 06, 2012
- 20 perish in Nigeria flood - Aug 29, 2011
- 90 die in Philippines floods - Aug 13, 2012
- Russian anti-rally bill wants $50,000 fine on protesters - May 11, 2012
- 19 Killed in record downpour in Japan - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: alexander, dmitry medvedev, emergency status, hundred million, hv, krasnodar territory, local authorities, measures, moscow, mountainous areas, overflow, regional development minister, ria novosti, rivers, rubles, southern russia, spokesman, torrential rains